It's taken 19 years to get started...part 3

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pompeyexile, May 10, 2010.

1. pompeyexile

pompeyexile Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So the ground has been prepared and it's out with one of the old sheds and in with a new one. OK now to build the terracing and like any sensible amature I decided to be guided by the wonder that is the internet.

'Building retaining walls for terracing' I typed into Google and what did I find? Plenty; but what really grabbed my attention was a system that required no bricks, no mortar, no professional bricky, a saving of hundreds of pounds but more importantly, no major earth moving of any kind.:dh:

'What is this amazing product?' I hear you cry.

Woodblox!:idea:

The best way I can describe it is like Leggo for the garden. A system of pressure treated wooden blocks that are put together using pegs. I know it doesn't sound too spectacular, so perhaps it's best I just show you.

View attachment 1841

Just a level bed of sand, so easy a child could do it. Thank goodness i'm just a big kid at heart.

View attachment 1843

Steady as she goes and it's taking shape.

View attachment 1846

Top terrace even easier.

View attachment 1844

Almost there.

View attachment 1845

Ta Da!:yho:

OK so it's still not quite finished the steps are temporary but you get the idea.

All done in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost of a brick built terrace.

The only extra work involved was putting back all the dirt I removed digging the original footings and of course backfilling the lower terracing to a level where I could build the higher terrace.:rotfl:

The next phase is the top decking and when that's complete of course the planting.

So until the next time if you can keep from :ywn:............

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    That's a great system and alternative...well done. How long do they say the product lasts...and how much did this lot cost you?

Steve...:)

3. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Well done, that is so neat looking.

4. pompeyexile

pompeyexile Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

According to the brochure BlocX is treated with a pressure treatment system that deeply penetrates the wood preventing rot and decay for many years. It has a 20-40 year treatment cycle so I think it'll outlive me.

For that lot including two raised beds which will go on the decking area and another for the bottom of the garden it came to just over £800 including VAT and delivery. That also includes all the dowels, wedges and hollow punches and the long ground spikes and metal angle and 'T' junction plates. Also included in the price was help in the design which included sending me some drawings.

The people at Woodblox were so friendly and helpful and when I asked for a few extra groundspikes (because like everything I do I over engineered it a bit and used more than was necessary), they sent them to me free of charge.

5. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I like it. Please keep posting :-D