1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I've gone and done it...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, May 16, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Bought a Russian Vine.

Now...where shall I plant it? Next to my neighbour's leylandii hedge so it smothers it in one year? :D

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :lollol:Oh Aaron you devil..!!! Still it will be so much nicer to look at than the hedge.... Love it..!! :lollol:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Actually, it's going in the front garden, against the wall of the house where there's a sturdy trellis it can grow up and the only damage it will cause is probably to us entering and leaving the house!

Much as I am tempted to smother said leylandii hedge, it would probably also choke everything I have in the garden as well...shame though...

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Somehow it didn't seem quite right, I thought you might have been joking,,,:lollol:

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It doesn't need a sturdy trellis.:wink: It's got the whole of the house and the front garden and the pathway and all the other houses to climb over.:lollol:

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just been reading that things growing on your house are good for it. The article was referring to Ivy, but would apply to others as well. It said that the plants will increase the insulation of the house, making it warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Sounds great . Everything is warmer and cooler while your tiles etc. are being ripped off you roof.:lollol:

8. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hi Aaron

Well, I mean each to his own and all that ... but why on earth do you want the darned thing? I've never felt it had much to recommend it except a preternatural ability to swamp everything in sight. I chanced upon a forum for traumatised owners/neighbours of Russian vines recently. Here is one response to a sufferer's pleas for help:-

They can be a swine to kill, I chopped mine at the base, and poured 3 litres of creosote on the roots, nothing else grew there except you guessed it the flamin russian vine. Try and dig it out, and look for every scrap of root or it will come back and get you!!!!

Enjoy! :rotfl:

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You all inspire me with such confidence! But the front of the house looks so bare and needs some sort of climber up it. I am also rather adept at hacking back vigourous plants with shears.

I shall report back - I've currently hidden it as OH doesn't know I went to the garden centre (again) yesterday...

10. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Oh Aaron:scratch:. Why not a Parthenocissus or a Wisteria. Much nicer and easier to control?

Chris

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I actually love Russian Vine! The front of our house is mostly concrete so it will have a job to spread that far.

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Been thinking about this on the way home from work. Perhaps it might be too much for the front of the house - but not sure what else. I have a Clematis there already, so perhaps another one to join it!

But where do I plant the Russian Vine I already have then??

13. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    In your worst enemies garden while he's down the pub.:gnthb:

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You're off yer 'ead Aaron, I love it. I can hand on heart say that I like it too, but smothering someone else's garden, not mine-I have my hands full with my different ivy plants lol.

Remind me, you have ivy don't you :D ? Might be worth considering investing in a good stone to keep your secateurs in tip top condition lol.

15. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    If creosote won't kill the damn thing, then I think a small nuclear device may be in order too. :)