1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivy leaved toadflax

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, Jul 30, 2007.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    I would like to naturalise ivy leaved toadflax in a wall in my garden. It's brick, but in need of pointing, so there are plenty of crevices.
    I've tried taking a plant from the wild, but it was impossible to keep it wet enough while it established :(
    So, now I'm thinking of buying seeds and I came across alpine toadflax which looks much more exciting!
    Has anyone ever tried to grow this?

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, I have. I can't remember if it was pete or DaveW who told me that the plant tucks its seeds into crevices, so burying the lot is quite successful. I started it off with a bit of moss pushed in with it.This place sells plants:
    http://www.cornwallgardens.com/alpines.htm
    and earlier this year one of the large plant sellers had it in their spring catalogue.
    The alpine one you've found looks very pretty.

3. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Moss! Good idea, that would hold the moisture in nicely. Did you grow from seed?

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    No, I steal bits from the roads and pathways around here! Lovely weed- but it can be invasive when it does get established. One of GC's members has it all over the place and has to pull it out. That's what I
    'm aiming for..... :D
    It was Froguesque who described how the plant pushes its seedheads into the dark.
    Good Luck!

5. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I think I am the GC member that you are thinking about Liz, I have it every where.

The recent weather has brought it on hugely and with me letting my yard get on with it (again due to the weather) this year, it has popped up all over the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]