Japanese Acer - Orange dream

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Shyam, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Shyam

Shyam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

Appreciate if you can provide some guidance.

I have attached a photo of my Japanese acer. I have noticed no leaves are growing and the buds are as it was a month back. I am using ericaceous compost and also use fertilizer every 2 weeks. I really loved this plant when I bought it last year and its a shame it does not appear to be growing.

Is it too early to expect new leaves (Mid-march) from this acer or is there something else that is going wrong. Really appreciate any help.

Thank you

IMG_4567.jpg

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,232
    Hi there!

I am no expert, but in short, I would say “be patient!”

I’ve attached below photos of my two acers. The top one was planted two winters ago. As you can see, the buds are swollen, but not yet open. The lower one has been in the ground for nearly 8 years. Again, buds swelling, but not yet open.
    00ABC074-B89D-4CBD-93EA-B04E588B0FC4.jpeg AA241A1C-3074-4054-B163-029909DDF9B0.jpeg

I know spring comes at different times, depending on where in the world you are. Hence I’ve deliberately taken photos showing tete-a-tetes in full flower, and hyacinth flowers just starting, to give you an idea of where I am, in relation to your spring.

The only thing that I would be concerned about is you feeding a dormant tree? Doesn’t make sense to me, to be honest...

I’m sure some experts will be along shortly!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shyam

Shyam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you Sian

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +20,951
      My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just wasting money. Mine are in ordinairy garden soil pH about 6-6.5 seldom get fed and grow well. The only thing is that the leaves get scorched with the the winds.

• Like Like x 2