1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Anemone

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ricky101, Jun 12, 2022.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Been to a couple of garden centers today but neither had any of these in stock.

As they seem not to be that popular, wonder if they are not a good plant to grow ?
    We were looking for something to give late colour with some height to a semi shaded border.

Looking online there are still some for sale as potted plants, but they are in small 8cm pots so wonder if they are likey to flower this year ?

Does anyone know of a good mail order supplier of decent sized plants ?

Gather they grow from rhizomes and should be put into large pots to stop them being invasive.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    I've got 3 or 4 generally older varieties like "Honorine Jobert" white and "Hadspen Abundance" pink and I've found that they can be a problem after a few years starting to spread and pop up a couple of feet away, can be difficult to eradicate as they grew from roots left in the ground and they are deep rooting. I would like the flowers to last longer and down here in Devon they are pretty much evergreen. I have moved two them into a rougher shady area under some pine and cupressus trees and they are settling in there and can be mown down if necessary.

• Like Like x 3
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,654
      I used to have some but eventually I got rid of them, they did spread but if you like them its not really a problem, well in a garden like mine it isn't.:biggrin:
      Not sure they would fit in well in a super tidy garden though after a few years.

• Like Like x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,057
        I've got 'Elfin swan' which looked great with bright white flowers in the container, in my chalky soil it changed to the same colour as my other invasive ones, an insipid lilac colour. It's not a bad idea to consider keeping in a pot sunk in the border, I might try potting some up and see if they behave themselves.

• Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Thanks all, sounds like its not the great plant they make it out to be, think we need to look for something better to fill in that late summer gap in this smallish semi shaded border, eg some taller Fuchsias etc.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          Japanese Anemone

the name sounds great lol ,,, take a good year or two to settle in as well ... thinking about it they dont produce that much flower ... mine was a gift from a friend so I am loathed to take out as the annual visit first thing she checks in the garden ...

• Funny Funny x 3