Japanese Anemones

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nobby, May 24, 2005.

1. nobby

nobby Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please tell me how I can get rid of some Japanese Anemones? I have cleared them out numerous times but they keep on coming back. I do like them but they are taking over the garden. They are also coming through the tarmac pavement. I have tried Patherclear but I'am not having any luck.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Bin there, done that got the t shirt - dug mine up and its difficult to see the roots to clear it totally. The only way I keep it from re-appearing is remove every leaf that shows - in the same way as you do annual weeds. It seems to shrug off round up - though pathclear applied a couple of times keeps it out of my gravel area.

3. nobby

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your post Fran. It seems like the more I try to dig them out or pull the leaves off the stronger they come back. The problem is they are growing under the concrete pavement edging and it is impossible to dig them out as I can't get to the roots.

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would go the path clear or round up road then - I got them trying to grow in gravel on an unmembraned part of my front garden (duh!, I should have membraned it) and pathclear seems to work, as does roundup but needs repeating. Takes about two weeks to bit but its under control.

Like ground elder, as I can't rid my garden I work to keep it either under control, or out of my sight <gg>

5. nobby

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Fran, I will persevere with the Pathclear.