1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Maple repotting?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Delta, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all
    I'm just trying to find out if it's already perhaps too late to repot a youngish Acer tree which has so dreadfully outgrown it's current 10 inch pot there's around 3 inches of rootball outside the pot :(. I'd forgotten I was intending on repotting this baby & why & only realised just how bad it was last wk when I lifted the pot up. I'd overwintered it inside a deeper pot which it was somewhat suspended in (pot diameters similar) hence didn't realise just how bad it has gotten.

It's already pushing out leaf quite rapidly now but nothing completely out - is it likely to be too late already? Could it be root pruned or would that just destroy it at this stage? It's only about 2-1/2 ft tall & not that much width growth as yet.

And if it IS too late - when do I need to remind myself (at that age LOL!!) for doing it later in the year?

Thanks guys :)

(photo obviously last fall :) - ask if you'd rather see it as it is currently)

Attached Files:

2. Gareth Hughes

Gareth Hughes Welsh, inexperienced gardener!

Ratings:
    +128
    According to theRHS website you can re-pot your maple now. It says you can re-pot in April or September. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +803
      You would have no problems re-potting at this stage.

• Rhana Thompson

Rhana Thompson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      April is indeed a good time for re-potting a Japanese Maple. But are you sure your tree really needs this? Maples grow slowly and they need occasional re-potting. I grow mine in a tractor tire for two years and it still doesn't need to be transferred into a larger container or tire.