1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japenese Acer tree disease

Discussion in 'Trees' started by upnick, Jul 23, 2011.

1. upnick

upnick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I am new here & would like some help please with two acer trees i have in pots in my backyard.
    The first is i believe an Acer palmatum 'Green Dissectum' which has the fine green leaves i noticed the other week had this white growth/disease ? on its trunk as can be seen near the soil though to a lesser degree higher up the trunk what causes it & how can i clear the tree of it please as i dont want to lose the tree.

[​IMG]

Also i have a red leaved acer the edges of leaves have discolouring to them

[​IMG]

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Upnick and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: The first problem is either Woolly Aphids or, more likely, Mealy Bugs. Treat with a systemic insecticide. The second is just a bit of scorching, not a problem to worry about.:thumbsup:

3. upnick

upnick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Good evening daitheplant,

Many thanks for your swift reply sorry to ask again but which insecticide would you recomend & i presume i should spray it on ?

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    It could be scale insect as well. Wipe off the ones you can see. Check the branches too. I use Provado Ultimate and mix it in a watering can and just soak the whole thing including the compost. Make sure there are no kids or pets that will trod through the run off. It's safe after it dries.

5. gardenman

gardenman Apprentice Gardener

Landscape Design, Horticultural Advice
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep, definitely scale aphid, you commonly see them up the lengths of sycamore trees. They are relatively harmless but can become unsightly when left to multiply. The scales are a protective coating which unfortunately doesn't allow insecticides to penetrate. Savona and SB Plant Invigorator will, however, help to break down the scale.
    Killing these particular scale insects can be tricky, but seen as it is only one tree, scrape the treetreetreetreetreetreetree off the stem - it works. Alternatively, spray an insecticide in early July next year. This is the time the nymphs(Babies) are crawling and haven't developed their scale armour. They will be susceptible to insecticides then and will break the generation cycle.

6. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    Definitely scale. I get them on all my acers. Wipe them off as soon as they start appearing if you can and I follow up with a spray of provado as well. I check my acers from about April May time.