1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jasmine not flowering

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 4, 2019.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    This was a present probably 5 or 6 yrs ago and was a highly scented indoor plant that said to put outside when finished flowering so I did as I was told (first time for everything) I just left it alone as was not into gardening. Last year it had a hard cutback as neighbour installed a new fence. It's grown massive again as you can see but after some initial flowering has stopped. Why is this and what can I do. Is it too late for this year? 20190804_095603.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Cindy :)

“Growth follows the knife” is apt garden jargon.:noidea:

When your jasmine was cut back hard it did what it’s programmed to do, viz., grow vigorously.....and at the expense of flowering. Depending on when exactly it was done you may have cut off much of this season’s flowering wood too :noidea:

It will settle down so do nothing other than foliar spray with tomato/high potash feed until the end of summer. I am confident it will flower next year anyway. You may even get a few flowers later this summer

Next summer and thereafter, immediately after flowering, prune out the flowered stems and anything else to keep it within bounds. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1