Jasminum officinale/Jasminum x stephanense

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by stephenprudence, Jul 8, 2012.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    The question regarding these was do these stay evergreen or are they deciduous no matter what? Im getting mixed information when I search with one source saying J. Officinale is evergreen in relatively frost free climates and others saying deciduous regardless of condition. The same for j. Stephanense.

2. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    As far as I am aware J officinale is evergreen in frost free conditions.
    Not sure about the 2nd species.

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    it hardy to -8 , evergreen and fast growing ....lost mine in 2010 after a minus -14 , few more shoot come up and they die in 2011 after -8 ..........in the other end I`ve got a pink jasmine and a yellow jasmine who has pink flower (:dunno:).
    really want to get rid off the pink one , it`s to agressive for my small garden .
    If you are looking for a super jasmine , go for the tuscan jasmine , my mum has one in Italy who still alive after -18 .

4. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Jasminum x stephanense , actually it`s not evergreen , will lose the leaves and look sad all winter , but will come back .
    just found a picture from summer 2010 , the jasmine officinalis first and the pink at the end , both really vigorous grower.[​IMG]

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    jasmine fiona sunrise is my favourite .... not evergreen in the UK though ... and the 2 that I planted in a garden survived the last winter which had -18 degrees C

plant an acer bloodgood in front of it and you have a focal point in your garden for several months of the year

[​IMG]

6. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Mine - J officinale -is more or less evergreen but looks increasingly threadbare and tatty as the winter proceeds.

7. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Thats about the same with mine although I will say this is the first year it`s flowered properly ,but like all my plants in that area (sort of graveled bank) due a very major chop back in autumn

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,905
    I had J polyanthus but gave up on it as it was too straggly, bloomed for only a couple of weeks here and then looked untidy, even losing most of it's leaves.

9. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Thanks for the info, I'm hoping the J. officinale at least keeps a little evergreen as I live in a fairly mild location. There are a few others in our town but the one on a wall is constantly cut back because it is so rampant.. so I can never tell if it is deciduous or evergreen.. that said though I saw some of it in February and it was still evergreen. Jasminum x stephanense will probably become deciduous though I suppose..

Victoria, could it be your garden was a little too dry for it?

10. Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
    +111
    I lived in a house in the south London suburbs that had what I now know is a j officinale. It was growing on trellis alongside a fence, didn't get much sun but was smelt divine on a summer evening. The foliage is attractive too and though it seemed to die back a bit in winter it never really stopped being very vigorous. As 'oh no the jasmine is taking over' vigorous. Of course it's London but even snow didn't kill it off.

I really loved it. I'm considering growing one in a container for our more northern, rented house garden. Not expecting it to do so well but in two minds about whether I want to invest in trellis etc. it is such a lovely scent though.

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,905
    I am sure that was the problem Stephen. I will write you in the week with what is good here and what is not ... it is quite a struggle at times.