1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jersey Royal

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Russel Sprout, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Russel Sprout

Russel Sprout Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If I buy them from Tesco and leave some to chit will they make new jersey royals with the same taste or is there more to it than that? Also If I have some in the autumn will they keep for next spring crop? Thanks

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    That should work but you need to leave newly harvested spuds about 2 months before planting to re-start the growth cycle. That means if you get some now, you'll be planting them in the early summer and will get a harvest late autumn. It's hardly worth doing except as a novelty to get some new potatoes out of season (or on the xmas table). Provided you keep them somewhere cool and dry they will keep until next year. If I was you I'd wait a couple of weeks and buy them when the price comes down.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,930
    Just buy something called "international kidney", its supposed to be the real name of Jersey Royals, which are just a hyped up overpriced spud.:wink:

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    I agree with geoff, it is better to buy seed potatoes, it's a safer bet you will succeed. The shop bought ones can harbour virusues and sometimes the farmers chemically treat them to prevent them from sprouting.

6. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    All you need is Channel Islands soil... and a nice climate.... and hey presto!

We're not allowed to call them Jersey Royals here on Sark... but they taste even better when you grow them yourself

7. Russel Sprout

Russel Sprout Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, some good tips there

8. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Jersey Royals are indeed "International Kidney".

I would advise against saved royals.

Most UK seed potatoes originate from Scotland where they are less prone to disease in the cooler climate, Jersey in general is a lot warmer than say Perthshire?

At £4 a go for seed potatoes, I know which route I'd take?