1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jersey Royals

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Hannah, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Are Jersey Royals prone to disease/infestation?

I bought some at the Co-op with the intention of having some for dinner and some for seed, but most of them were pretty disgusting once I got them home and started cutting them up. I don't want to plant them if they'll mostly be wasted. (I'm quite fond of King Edwards too so I won't mind planting something different.)

2. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    it's generally regarded as virus resistant.
    it may have been an old/bad batch you got at the Co-op.
    I've had many a jersey royal from waitrose and Marks Expensive and without exception they've been wonderful.
    It's been ages since i grew any of my own, so do wait for the gardening gurus to stroll in
    [​IMG]

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. You are at completely the different end of the country to me so i may be wrong but id recon that it is too late to plant tatties now. Id also say that the best way to get seed potatoes is from a seed potato merchant or garden center in April ish. Make sure that what you plant is healthy or you are going to store up problems for the future. If you can chum up a neighbouring farmer all the better. As a rule keep an eye on what the farmers are doing at different times in your area to give you an idea of when to do things.

Ive never had bad Jersey Royals either. I had some last night and they were lovely. [​IMG]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,903
    Hannah, I really wouldn't try planting new potatos, bought from a supermarket. They have just stopped growing now and need a resting stage.
    I agree with Mrs Cloudy, it is a bit too late to plant now, mainly because unless someone can let you have some seed, I dont think you'll find any for sale, could be wrong.
    If you like 'new' spuds in the winter try Pink Fir Apple, main crop spud that lasts all the winter, the only ones I bother growing.

[ 13. June 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]