1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jerusalem Artichokes - Anyone else growing them this year ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Webmaster, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,925
    Grew them last year for the first time, as a friend of mine gave me some to try late 2018, and as I'd never grew them before, grew a few too many :biggrin:

Not to be confused with the normal Artichokes people grow, the Jerusalem Artichokes are part of the Sunflower family, so you get a nice show of smaller yellow flowers and a tuber you can use for different cooking purposes ....... Though roasted they are lovely.

Also, they've earned the nickname in our household as 'Fartichokes', a reason that would become clear once you've tried them :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,223
      My father tried them in the 70's and I remember the flavour wasn't bad, the flowers were attractive and some people have used them as a screen.
      The problem as I remember was the pain of peeling the knobbly tubers, I don't know if modern varieties are more peelable.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,526
      I grew them once,....... after that I lost interest for some reason:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
        +2,925
        I found that using a nail brush cleans them perfectly, with no need to peel.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,222
        I used to grow them and they made a very good soup. We don't grow any root veg nowadays :noidea:

As they discolour so easily it's best to dip them in acidulated water when preparing them.

• Like Like x 1