Jeyes fluid for killing diseses?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Sunshine2, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.I used Jeyes fluid to drench the soil of pots of roses to great effect in keeping black spot at bay last spring, what harm could it do if I used the same idea to drench the border soil to kill the rust and blackspot spores that will inevatably be left behind this coming autumn??. I would only do the surface layer so as not to kill all the good bugs down below!! :confused:

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would be very careful Sunshine. Jeyes is a very effective weedkiller and I have no doubt that if it were used near the wrong plants then it would do them no good at all. :eek: :eek:

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, Sunshine2. I'm going to use Jeyes for the same reasons. I'll use it once the Hollyhocks etc. have gone dormant. Never knew Jeyes was a Herbicide. My father-in-law used it as an insecticide on plants. It never killed any, might depend on the strength, I suppose

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Cajary Hi, You are probably OK once things have gone dormant. But yes, Jeyes is a herbicide. If you spray it around growing plants then, as I said, I would be very careful. Lots of people swear by it to kill nasties, but my warning stands, it is a herbicide if wrongly used and as somebody said on another forum, it doesn't know a daffodil from a dandelion.

If you type 'Jeyes Fluid weedkiller' into a search engine, you will see it has good but also bad if not carefully used.

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Sarraceniac. I'll be careful.