Jeyes Fluid

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by badsal72, Jul 27, 2006.

1. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been told my a neighbour that I can put jeyes Fluid on the soil in my greenhouse after the growing season and this will rid it of bacteria.

Is this true?

I was going to dig out the soil and replace it, but should I put Jeyes down as well? If so, do I dilute it?

Many thanks for any help.

2. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm afraid I've never used it. I can't believe no one else has either.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I use Jeyes Fluid in much the same way as Armillatox. The dilution to use will be on the container.
    I would agree with your neighbour that this will work, digging out the soil and replacing it every Autumn sounds a bit OTT.....

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,298
    Used to use it years ago. Can't remember the dilution rate but it must be in the instructions or on their website. Always used to use it in a 'kilaspray' type sprayer. We used to clear all plants and pots out of the greenhouse, scrub the benching, hose down all the glass, floor and the benching, spray everything - roof, walls, floor, soil, benching (even underneath) and leave it for half a day. Then hose down again and move everything back in.

We never had any problem with diseases etc. As we have been organic for nearly 30 years we haven't used it since then. We haven't had any problem with diseases etc since then either [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!!! But maybe we have been lucky.
    ------------------
    shiney

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Still got a big tin of JF.
    For sterilising the GH it says to use 35ml in 5l water.

I don't think new tins will show the dilution rates for horticultural purposes as it is no longer approved.

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I use it for blackspot on the roses as well. If used full strength I think everything including the gardener woul expire from the smell! I have no intention of scrubbing out the greenhouse, I'll give the bits I can reach a good clean. Does everybody go to these lengths every Autumn? :eek:

7. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I do it in early spring Liz as toms are usually still being picked into November and then some of the tender shrubs and bonsais get moved in for a couple of months.

When I do clean I use an industrial hoover to suck up any soil, leaves etc, then spray with JF and after leaving for a couple of hours put the pressure washer on. GH by the way has a concrete floor and brick base to the walls.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  10. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your replies, I think I will give the Jeyes Fluid a go, it is in the pound shop at the moment for a big bottle.
    :D

11. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The original question was can I use it on the soil. I wouldn't because I fear it might hang around in the soil, with possible germination problems next year. I may well be wrong, and hope others who have done this will pipe up here, but seek further advice first. It is after all a persistent biocide.

12. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found an old article (don't know where it came from) but it said that I can use it on soil and if used in the correct concentration, it will not do plants any harm. I am going to try on a small patch next year following instructions and see if there is a difference with plants and flavours.

13. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I mixed it up as suggested on tin and watered in into my rose pot's soil and over their bare stems. I gather it helps keep down black spot for the forthcoming year,as it kills the spores. My roses are fine now and have loads of green leaves.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,298
    Liz said
    ---------------------------------------------
    I have no intention of scrubbing out the greenhouse, I'll give the bits I can reach a good clean. Does everybody go to these lengths every Autumn?
    ---------------------------------------------

Although we used to do it we haven't done it for about the last 20 years. All we do now is sweep and hose down the floor regularly, brush off the cappilary matting and change it every few years, and try not to upset the spiders too much [​IMG] [​IMG] .

Everything still seems to grow OK and we get no problems. [​IMG] :D