1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeyes Fluid

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by elliegreenwellie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Me again hoping for some more of your word of wisdom. After 18 months of battling with moss in a tarmacced yard court yard area at the back of house. We finally had enough and treated the area with Jeyes Fluid. Didn't quite appreciate how strong the stuff is. after what seemed an age of brushing and rinsing it off, the area has now dried and stinks of the stuff. My question is - can I put my patio pots of plants back on the tarmac? Should I leave it a while, try scrubbing again etc, or am I just being paranoid, as they are in pots after all.

2. norman

norman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Jeyes fluid is a Cresol and is acidic, washing with a mildly alkaline substance such as washing soda should remove it, but keep the wash water off the garden, plants and your hands. There is an alternative, Armillatox, which is diluted 100/1 and can be washed on to soil(not plants)

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Pots should be fine ellie as they are in the open air.
    The smell will take a few days to fade and if it really bothers you, you can always try washing the area down again. Personally I wouldn't bother as I like the smell!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,665
    Not sure you should use Jeyes on tarmac, got a feeling it might react and cause the tarmac to crumble or worse, go sticky.
    Could be wrong. [​IMG]

5. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Norman, try ARMILLATOX. It's good stuff, and being soap based, it contains no bleaches, it will do no harm to either your tarmac or plants. Infact i sterilise all my used pots in a solution of armillatox and clean my polyt workarea with it. Infact i use a mild solution every month to water all my perennials in the polyt, it helps keep the algae off the top of the compost and helps eradicate vine weevil.

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You are right Pete it does attack tarmac and causes it to crumble.
    elliiegreenwellie (love that name) your pots will not catch any harm if you put them back the smell will certainly keep the cats away,try sprinklig salt on the moss next time it's a less drastic way of dealing with the moss

7. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for all your replies!

Oh dear - well it's too late now! The tarmac is pretty knackered anyway and we are planning to have it redone when we can afford it, the moss was making it deteriorate anyway so it can't be any worse. It does say on the tin the concentration to use on tarmac, which is exactly what we did so hopefully it will be OK.

Dave - That's a bit worrying, my yard smells like a public urinal, I can't believe you like the smell!

Thanks for the salt tip, will definately do that in future!

Thanks again everyone