1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonagold apple tree

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Craig1987, May 7, 2013.

1. Craig1987

Craig1987 Gardener

Payroll Administrator
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi all,

i bought a dwarf jonagold apple tree from Lidl the other day for £9.99.

After reading about the tree online, it says something about the pollen being sterile.

Does this mean that it wont pollinate on its own? Do i need to buy another apple tree or will my cherry tree do the job?

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Craig i have a Jonagold ,lovely sweet large apple, I do have another apple coxs, but if you have any other trees in your locality that may be enough. :blue thumb:

3. Craig1987

Craig1987 Gardener

Payroll Administrator
    Ratings:
    +292
    I have just discovered the search bar function on here and found a historic thread: http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/jonagold-apple-tree.21551/#post-306924 it seems to answer all of my questions.

It seems like the Jonagold needs two other apple trees to polinate it to have any chance of getting fruit.

You must be lucky Pam, you must have another apple tree in your area to go along with your Cox which are polinating your Jona.

I'm screwed. I can see about 7 gardens in my area from my upstairs bedroom window and not one of them has a apple tree :(

I bought this plant as its a dwarf. I dont have much space as it is. I can't go and buy another 2. Oh well i can pray for a miracle

• Agree Agree x 1