1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got myself a garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ninhydrin, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ninhydrin

ninhydrin Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all im new here and hope i have stumbled upon a nice friendly forum :D

I have just moved into a house with a nice garden and allotment with a shabby greenhouse (in need of some TLC).
    The allotment has been previously used to keep chickens and Im thinking of digging it over and making a vegetable patch, Im itching but know relatively nothing apart from reading a few recent magazines, is there anything I could plant this or next month or have i missed the boat a little with winter round the corner?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi ninhydrin, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup: Don't worry this Forum is definitely full of very friendly, knowledgeable Gardeners, some, well most, with a wicked sense of humour and slightly insane.:rolleyespink: You'll like it here!!!:hapfeet: Don't worry, someone will be along to give you some advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
      Ratings:
      +10,739
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Hi ninhydrin, and welcome to the forum.

Missed the boat? Well, it just depends on your outlook. Many will tell you that gardening is all about preparation, and I'm one of those. Of course, you want something to happen straight away, and to that end I would suggest maybe planting some spring greens/cabbages which you may well be able to source at you local garden centre. Garlic can also go in shortly. I guess there are quite a few things that can be planted now, but if it were me, I would prepare the ground for next year, and plan accordingly. Make a point to grow things that you know you like, and don't just grow things for the sake of it. I would thoroughly recommend that you get hold of a book 'The Vegetable And Herb Expert' The Vegetable & Herb Expert: The world’s best-selling book on vegetables & herbs: Amazon.co.uk: Dr D G Hessayon: Books
      To me, this is an invaluable and simple guide to get you started. Hope this helps.

Cheers...Freddy.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      My dad is trying 'Japanese onions' this year for the first time ever. I can't tell you anything about them because they're new to me too, but apparently you start them in autumn.

• ninhydrin

ninhydrin Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks for alll the replies, something to think about :) guess its first things first and get some preperation done then I will be back with lots of questions. :dbgrtmb:
      I like the sound of the chinese onions