1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Just had a phone call from 'Microsoft'

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Scrungee, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Apparently my computer has downloaded loads of viruses and malware and they've detected it and were calling to help me get rid of all that nasty stuff. Isn't it wonderful how they can do that, plus know my telephone number without knowing my name, postal address, IP address, email adresse, etc.

Another scam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,138
      The Pakistani branch of Microsoft? They nearly got my sister (who, although intelligent, is extremely gullible and vulnerable). Luckily something 'clicked' just before she parted with her bank card details!

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I had one of those some months ago, I gave him short shrift and hung up

• Ilkley Gardeners

Ilkley Gardeners Gardener

Self Employed fixing computers
      Ratings:
      +131
      One of my clients got conned by them and ended up with her hard drive been encrypted and a charge being levied if she wanted it unlocked. Not, it wasn't cryptlocker, this was before that started doing the rounds.

In the end, she upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and a new hard drive, was still cheaper than what the rip off firm wanted to charge her. In the end, it was possible to recover the hard drive (don't ask me how) so I was able to help her then recover her data.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Mrs Scrungee was just going to hang up, but passed the phone over to me as she thought I might want to shout at them (she was right).

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836

They probably also knew you were standing there just in your underpants, Scrungee, or so they would have you believe!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,333
          Some of you will have seen the transcripts of some of my conversations with these people (I've got a number of them :lunapic 130165696578242 5:).

Here are a couple:-

At 12.08 today I received another call from a gentleman with an Indian accent. He was trying to tell me I had a virus on my computer.

My usual way of dealing with these calls is to mess them about and see how long I can keep them on the phone. Today was different. I think that what sparked my responses this time was the fact that I had just been deciding whether to have a sandwich or some left over curry for lunch.

This was a reasonably brief conversation for me as I kept interrupting what he was saying instead of waiting for him to finish.

“Hello, Is that Mr…?”

Rather abrupt, “Of course it is, you know that. You called me.” (All my further interruptions are very abrupt.)

“It’s been reported to us …”

“Yes, Yes, I’m not interested in excuses. You’re late!”

A pause then “I think you ….”

“You promised to deliver by 12 o’clock and it’s ten past. What’s wrong?”

“No, no, I think you’re mistaken …”

“I’m never mistaken! I know what I ordered and have it written down in front of me.”

“I’m sorry, Mr … but what do you think you ordered?”

“My usual curry, of course! Four poppadoms, lamb Vindaloo, Bombay aloo and plain rice.”

“But we’re not…”

“Look, if you don’t want my business I can always order from the Raj.”

“No, you have a virus …”

“What!!!! Your handling food when you have a virus!! I’ve a good mind to report you to Environmental Health.”

“It’s your computer…”

“Don’t try and blame your mistakes on a computer. I ordered by phone. So either get your finger out and get here within five minutes or I’ll never order from you again!”

And I slammed the phone down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hello”

“We have a report that you have a virus on your computer.”

“Oh, dear! I wondered what the cause was. Can you help me?”

Ahh, you’ve already noticed that you have a virus. Don’t worry we can solve the problem quite easily.”

“Wonderful!! When will you come round and what are you going to do?”

“We don’t need to come round. We can do everything from here.”

“Fantastic! It’s wonderful what modern science can do. How long does it take to work?”

“Not long. You just have to download some software that we can send to you.”

“Brilliant! Is this on the National Health? Because I’m a poor old pensioner and can’t afford anything.”

“There’s only a small charge but it solves all your problems.”

“Wow! Can it solve my other problems as well?”

“What are these other problems?”

“Well, my biggest problem is my back, up to now.”

“That’s OK, we have some other software to sort out back-up problems.”

“Great! Well, tell me what to do.”

“I’ll tell you what to type into your computer and it will show you on the screen what problems you’ve got.”

“Amazing! Will it tell me how I got this virus?”

“It’ll show you lots of things that are wrong but we can solve them all.”

“I always thought that you couldn’t sort out ‘Man-flu’ and that it just had to run its natural course.”

“Sorry, I don’t understand!”

“Well, I’m surprised that you can sort out my virus through the computer, but I suppose you don’t want to catch it yourself. Where did you get your medical training?”

Puzzled voice. “I don’t have any medical training but I’m highly trained in IT.”

“Oh, if you’re trained in ‘it’ I suppose you’re OK. Do I have to take any pills because I have trouble swallowing?”

Pause. “I’m not sure I understand!”

“Well, if you don’t understand then I don’t want any medical help from you!” And I slammed the phone down.

• Funny Funny x 9
          • Like Like x 2
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,595
            They phone my mam once. I told her, anyone who has ever had the misfortune of needing to speak to Microsoft will know that anyone actually phoning them and claiming to be Microsoft is obviously lying.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
              Ratings:
              +2,785
              (The Scam Goes On):paladin:.

People Should be aware that this Elaborate Scam is Still going on, involving anyone who is experiencing a slow Computer.
              You Receive a call from someone who will say"They are aware of your Computer Consistently Crashing and claiming they are phoning on behalf of 'Microsoft.

They say that as from April, Microsoft support and Virus Protection will cease, and your Computer System was Vulnerable.
              They offer a one off Subscription, costing £90, And you can pay it from your Debit Card !!!.

Several People have been Scammed with this Scam, some people can handle this and Fob it off ,some others can't ,and that is how these Parasites or what you want to call them ,still Survive on the Elderly and Vulnerable.

All I can Say Is Check With Your Family or Bank Before Giving Details Over The Cyberspace
              Before Giving Any Instructions/Details From Your Bank Cards:dbgrtmb:.:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:.

I was Involved In A Scam Against Me A Few Years Ago .My Card Was Out My Sight For Ten Minutes In A Restaurant when paying my Bill .

It Turned Out The Most Costly Meal For Two I Have Ever Paid In My Life:yikes:.

(Lucky I was With My Wife):smile:.

My Card Had Been Skimmed During The Transaction when my card had been out of my Sight for @ 10 minutes.

LONG STORY: That Meal Cost Me Over ( One Thousand Pounds):gaah::gaah::gaah:.

SO , HAPPY , YAPPY ,CYBER SPACE. BUT WATCH THOSE BANK CARD DETAILS.:blue thumb::blue thumb::blue thumb:.

(MUSIC):snooze:.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,239
                They aren't that clever , whenever they phone me I ask them which of my computers is infected & they can't tell me.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Since I never answer my phone but leave it to my answer machine until I know who it is I don't think "Microsoft" will be doing "business" with me!!:snork:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,333
                I had a call yesterday that asked me to confirm the report they had received that I have had an accident in my car recently.

I only managed to keep them on the phone for 26 minutes before the person called me a rude name!! :hate-shocked: :lunapic 130165696578242 5: (They had called just as I had settled back comfortably in my office armchair with a lovely hot cuppa and my feet up on the filing cabinet :). A very pleasant way to while away my tea break :heehee:.)

• Like Like x 2
                • Funny Funny x 1