1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Joined - looking for inspiration

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BlueBell10, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BlueBell10

BlueBell10 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone just joined and I need help!. I have a large garden front and back and every year it seems to beat me. Thought Id start with the lawns. Is it too early to rake the dead moss out? I had a go the other day when it was nice the lawn is full of moss and weeds. After raking I had quite a large area of bare pataches is this ok. do I need to reseed or will it grow back and should I treat the lawn as well with moss killer. Just worried I might finish off the lawn altogther. Anyone got any advice please.

2. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi BB10,
    Sounds a common problem. Lack of drainage and or lack of sunlight. If it is so bad I think I'd start from scratch and put some land drains in. Then turf over it. Needn't be too onerous a task!
    Cheers
    John

3. BlueBell10

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

Thanks for that. Bit worried about the land drain not quite sure if im up to that but worth considering if things don't improve. I do have some large bushes shading the grass so I will get them cut back.

Thanks
    BB10

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    would just like to wish you a warm welcome to the forum
    [​IMG]

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Bluebell. Welcome to GC. Can't advise on grass I'm afraid. I'm a social pariah, I like gravel (but don't tell anyone on here). :D

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi BlueBell welcome to the forum.

7. BlueBell10

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone thanks for the replys. Will keep you informed on the grass situation I think its going to be an epic.

Bluebell

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  9. Aster

Aster Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bluebell, welcome im in Nottingham too ...NG9 do you mind me asking where abouts are you?

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG] BlueBell.

I'm with John on this one as I'm getting rid of most of our grass and transforming our patch to gravel or bark chippings.... no more heavy lawn mower for me!

I'm sure someone will help you out with advice on how to redo your lawn as we are a friendly lot on here...well most of the time we are! :D Hel.xxx.

11. susannah

susannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome (somewhat belatedly) to GC [​IMG]

12. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I would try raking it and putting lawnseed down . I would make sure there is no overgrown strubs or trees and see what happens. Put a photo on if you can and place it on gardeners discussion. You will get loads of advice.

13. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would vote with compost maker, assuming that you just have a very neglected lawn, and there is no fundamental drainage problem. But it could take a while.
    I'm just starting year 2 of a lawn revival program. The lawn is quite shaded, and the moss was so deep the squirrels could bury their conkers in it. (yes the ones off the trees). I've been raking out moss, and spraying with ferrous sulphate regularly, plus some re-seeding. It is getting better but there is still some way to go.

14. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi blue bell.
    i had the same problem four years ago when i moved here and the best advice i can give you is to move things that are keeping the light out and with a garden fork push in at least 6 inches all over your lawn making air holes which will dry up the soil and will improve the drainage.
    try not to walk on it until the grass is growing freely around the end of April then when the weather is nice and hot cut the grass with a low cut and rake out any excess moss removing it now will only allow the moss to recover due to the wet weather which we are having at the moment and with the grass only starting to grow you may find you are fighting a losing battle.
    around the end of October try not to cut your grass and leave it as long as possible so as over the winter the grass will act as a barrier against the moss build up.
    hope this helps as it has for me it is slow going but at least if you do this you will be going in the right direction.