1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Kalanchoe

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Boscombe2015, May 30, 2015.

1. Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I have a red Kalanchoe that was given as a present about a year ago. It flowered profusely but finished flowering around Autumn. It has now sprung back into life but has produced only two flowers but large amounts of leaves that grow and grow. I've cut back the leaves but still they grow up and up but no flowers.

The plant is still in its original container (ceramic watering can) and has no drainage holes. The leaves look healthy enough.

Can I cut the leaves right back and would this help to produce flowers again? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Which species is it. There are only about a hundred very different species of Kalanchoe to chose from.

3. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    I presume you have Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, which is the most common type given as a present.. and used as a house plant.

If you cut it back, it will not recover very well.. what you're best doing, which an old tried a tested trick, is to let the plant dry right out, then when it look like it needs water, given it a bit of water - what will happen is it will reward you with flowers - this is essentially what happens in its native habitat - it has a dry season, then a wet season when it flowers.

However don't cut down the plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      I haven't a clue. Sorry. It seems a very common variety as I see it in most supermarkets. It didn't come with care instructions so I checked one in the shops to see what it is called.

• Like Like x 1
      • Boscombe2015

Boscombe2015 Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks I will try that. Should the plant be repotted or leave it in its original container?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Ditch that.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
          Ratings:
          +2,368
          yes get a new pot, slightly larger, but not too much larger because they like cramped roots - but make sure the pot has good drainage - then put the plant in a sandy, soil mix. It will drain easier, and flower better (hopefully)