1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Kale getting too big for poly tunnel

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peter Thompson, May 22, 2018.

1. Peter Thompson

Peter Thompson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I've got some kale under a smallish poly tunnel. The kale is growing vertically quite quickly and the heads are now butting up against the underside of the poly tunnel. Any advice in what to in terms of protection? Should I cover them in fleece or build a fleece 'fence' around them? I don't feel they are yet robust enough to let grow in the open.

TIA,
    P.

2. PetalsonthePavingSlabs

PetalsonthePavingSlabs Gardener

Environmental Health
    Ratings:
    +108
    If you've got the time to do so, you could try hardening them off during the day outside with a view to planting out soon? Kale are fairly hardy plants, mine are one of the few things that survive outside over winter?

3. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    Ive just planted mine outside this morning. They were just starting to get leggy indoors so outside they go.

4. Peter Thompson

Ratings:
    +6
    I read something earlier that said when I planted out the kale, I should have buried the plant deep enough such that the lowest leaves were just touching the soil. I didn't do that and the plants are standing rather high. Is this something other people do?

5. Peter Thompson

Ratings:
    +6
    In my original post I could have been a bit clearer. I meant protection from pests. What would people recommend as protection from birds and smaller creatures?

6. PetalsonthePavingSlabs

PetalsonthePavingSlabs Gardener

Environmental Health
    Ratings:
    +108
    Netting - small enough gauge to keep the butterflies out (caterpillars are quite fond of my kale) and very tightly secured to stop birds getting tangled up in it. Other than some netting, I don't do too much with mine.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    @Peter Thompson I agree with @PetalsonthePavingSlabs i would go for a a piece of the green, greenhouse shading you can buy it loose in B&Q or probably on the Internet.. Failing that a small holed net so butterfly’s and moths cannot get at them.. You could support it on canes..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,482
      I thought Kale was a winter vegetable.:scratch:
      Not that I've ever grown it.:)