1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping the chickens off!!

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Ellen, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    To be precise, the neighbour's chickens... I've got a raised rockery (on a dry stone wall about 3' up) on the roadside & have recently tidied it up, planted new plants, etc. I found a couple of holes dug & presumed it was the neighbour's cat as I've seen him on there. But I drove past when I got home earlier & found 4 of the chooks on there scratching away! They're ruining my hard work! Is there any way of keeping them off? The rockery is on a public lane, and the neighbour, a farmer, lets his chickens roam free everywhere, which until now has never been a problem

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,946
    Put some netting or a few runs of string about 2/3 inches above your flower so that they can't fly up and land and drive them off very time you see them they'll soon get the message or chicken pie :mute::snork:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
      Ratings:
      +1,984
      The string is a good idea, thanks Jiffy :) and roast chicken was briefly on the menu once I realised who the culprits were!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +344
        I am not sure a few strands of string will stop determined chickens. They are able to fly up into trees to roost. You may have to abandon your rockery if the chickens decide they like it.
        Despite banks, gates, walls and fences, my neighbours' free range chickens still try to get into my garden. The only thing to deter them is my dog chasing them. Last summer he managed to catch a very young one which he killed, more by accident than intent, fortunately my neighbour was very philosophical about it.
        I enjoy seeing them roam free but I do not want them in my garden scratching up plants and pooping everywhere

• Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +810
        @Ellen we have 4 hens who run loose in our veg plot all day. In order to keep them off our beds we erect green netting around the sides, even in winter, to keep them off the garlic, shallots and over-wintering brassicas but take down the nets round other beds so they can clear seeds and pests and weeds and fertilise as they go.

Once the tomatoes are harvested we let them in the polytunnel so they can work their way thru weeds, seeds and pests and have dust baths in the dry.

They're probably using your rockery as a dust bath which would account for deep saucer-shaped holes and pecking at the plants too. If your neighbour can't keep them in his grounds you're going to have to consider a barrier of some sort and let the dog out more till they learn. Or the farmer learns.

You could find some stiff mesh or low fencing to attach to your basic framework for the bed - discreet or decorative according to taste and budget.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024