1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Killed my beans :(

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Adam Moran, May 13, 2009.

1. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted my climbing cobra beans and tendergreen bush beans last weekend and they are dead already :scratch:

They were watered and the temp hasnt been below 8'c at night.... Have i dont something wrong?

I did grow them in my mini greenhouse, has that been the problem?

Also i'm going to have to buy some more, any reccomdations??

Thanks

Adam

2. johnny boy

johnny boy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Adam

Can you describe the death? Was it the stem perishing and did they die from the top or bottom?

Cobra are the best variety of climbing french I sell a lot to my customers - don't give up on them.

Johnny Boy

www.thevegetablebed.co.uk

3. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    leaves have shriveld up and some of them look like they have had the leafs eaten

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,714
    Sounds to me like they needed hardening off.
    Adam have you been getting the same strong easterly wind that we have for the last two days?

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Yes, my thoughts too.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I chitted (on wet kitchen paper) my climbing French beans (and Runners) at the weekend and have planted them into cells today.

Last year I sowed them much earlier and they were a nightmare to keep checked until 1st June (when I think it it warm enough to plant them out). They were 5' high, or so, a mass of tangled shoots, lots of damage caused during planting out, and then the breeze dried them out and they pretty much started again from the base.

So I've planted them later this year :thumb:

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,070
    I think it may be just too early and too cold for runners Adam. I planted mine out a couple of days ago, but they still have a cold frame around them. That cold wind yesterday would have finished them off for sure if they weren't protected. I've never planted them this early before and reckon I will be lucky if they survive. My main batch have only just been sown in trays and won't go out till June.

You've still got plenty of time to start again.

8. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to get some more cobra beans today and plant the whole lot again.

Shall make a note in my allotment diary for next year!!

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  10. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love a copy please!

At the moment i write it down in a small diary but would be much better on the laptop.

my e-mail is [email protected]

Just brought some more cobra beans from wilkinsons.. will sow them at the weekend :)

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,373
    I always grow beans in succession which allows me to experiment by planting some out early and if they don't survive the next lot go out a couple of weeks later. That way you can hedge your bets. For the last few years I have been lucky :thmb: and the early ones have survived without hardening off but strong winds can do more damage than chilly, above freezing, nights.

Even if the early ones survive OK I still plant out every couple of weeks and if they are all doing well I sell the surplus plants for a local charity.

Good luck with your next batch. I'm sure they will be OK :)

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Do you find there is much between then?

I'm under the impressions that the earlier sowing will only be days ahead of a sowing aimed for planting out on 1st June

I would be very interested in your first-harvest-date for any batches you can identify please.

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,373
    Hi Kristen

I haven't planted very early this year (for various reasons) but last year I planted them out in April and I was eating them by early July.

I've put a link below to the thread I put up last year. It has some dates and varieties of bean throughout my postings. I don't keep records because I find that I am so busy I wouldn't be able to stick to any plan. Hence them being later this year. We have only just planted out the first batch.

In general I find that if we plant early and they don't get frosted then we are eating them earlier - sometimes a lot earlier. The later ones gradually catch up and the early ones tend to slow down earlier than the later ones. As we approach autumn the early ones are nearly finished but the late ones keep going until the frost gets them. So we get a longer season by planting in succession.

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/fo...e-yum-yum-15538.html?t=15538&highlight=runner