1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

knee problems after replacement

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eleagnus7, Oct 5, 2006.

1. eleagnus7

eleagnus7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone else coping with after effects of knee surgery who would like to discuss and share their experiences in this area?

I can't believe I am the only person who is able to function so well on a daily basis, but cannot have a "Normal" night. Look forward to hearing from anyone.

[ 05. October 2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    MMD has talked about this in the past - why don't you contact her?

3. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi eleagnus7,i havn`t had knee surgery but i know where your comming from.Just wanted to let you know about this Organic Rosemary Ointment i bought last year from, [email protected]
    or tel,01326 574282.I was in an accident years ago and have pain sometimes.It was desperation that made me buy it but i can tell you it`s the best pain relief, bar pills, i`ve ever had.My son has a knee injury from playing rugby and he calls it Magic Cream.I was in the loos in our local a while back and i over heard a lady complaining about back pain.She lives just up the street from me so i said i`d drop it in for her.The next time i saw her she said after using, it was the best night`s sleep she`d had in months.It`s a bit expensive at Ã?£7.25 for 30mls but it`s worth it as a little goes a long way. [​IMG]

4. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
  5. eleagnus7

eleagnus7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to all - I am going to try the rosemary ointment of course and I may be surprised - although I am on a pain releif that is almost as near to morphine as you can get and still go crazy all night with the pain.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Can you explain a little more about what is happening.

You say you function well during the day - does this mean walking, and sitting are not painful and movement is fine. But that at night when you go to bed, you get pain?.

Or is it painful during the day on walking or sitting, but at night you can't sleep?

Sorry before I can make any suggestions, it would help to know a little more.

7. eleagnus7

eleagnus7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts. I am able to walk a fair amount - shopping in Tescos is no problem. The only daytime pain is from the wound and you would expect that, wouldn't you as it is plain trauma really. I have a lot of old scarring and injury sites which are a problem also and I am not including them in the pain I suffer at night. I did have a huge amount of swelling at first, I thought my skin would split - and my sister (who is a nurse) was also quite concerned about this and took me back to the hospital. The trouble is that the pain at that time was like a burning sensation from above the knee, and down the shin to the ankle, and this pain persists every night. At first ice packs and some light pressure helped (along with pain tablets) but as time goes on this seems to help less and I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem. My night time sleeping is now down to about 6am to 8am - ish! I have made it my business to follow all the exercises I was given and have only used support for a very short time. My balance is better than it ever was for years. I think that the fact that I had become chairbound because the knees (one after the other) locked up and were excruciatingly painful before surgery may have left a damaged area which also has to heal.I look forward to your thoughts.

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont wish to be a pain..but i have seen how much the organic rosemary ointment costs and i cant understand why you dont make your own..you could buy all the organic ingredients for about �£5 and make at least 8 pots of ointment..which is a fraction of the price..i have checked out the ingredients and this is all thats in it..

Ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, beeswax, wheatgerm oil, rosemary, marigold, lavender, camomile, grapefruit seed extract.

and i know where you can get all the ingredients from..

9. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    AND anyone that can melt chocolate in a pyrex bowl in a large saucepan of boiling water can make ointment..its so simple and it can be stored in the fridge or a cool place and will last months..

10. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi Wildflower do you think that something like that might help my leg doc says its arthritis,i get very bad pain in the groin,knee,calf & foot with numbness & pins & needles,sorry to bother you but thought you might have a suggestion,many thanks

11. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    gogs ..i will message you so i dont hijack this post..

12. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Hi Wildflower
    Another request about your recipe for rosemary ointment
    and where I can get the ingredients.

Hoping it will help arthritic pain in my back.
    [​IMG]

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Eleagnus - the pain you are describing sounds very like nerve pain - and it may be that the operation, or swelling caused some damage to a superficial nerve. However if it only occurrs at night, then it may be positional as well.

The first thing I would do is to get your GP to refer you back to the Orthopaedic Surgeon for some advise on what is causing the problem.

The second thing that might help with nerve pain, or indeed any pain - is acupuncture.But be sure to use only a registered and recognised one.

I really do think you need your doctor to tell you what is causing the problem first though.

14. eleagnus7

eleagnus7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wildflower - what a great idea! I should be most grateful for the information about the supplier and as I am a strict vegetarian and can thus be sure no animal matter has come into contact it would be doubly welcome.

Thanks for the knee forum jjordie. Very interesting to browse over. Amazing how many people think they can decide not to go for surgery. It really is not a choice when the knee collapses you are only too pleased to go through with it.

Fran: You will not beleive this but the only thing my doctor would prescribe is SLEEPING PILLS!
    Would that give you confidence?
    That was the reason for my query on this forum.
    Thanks to all.

15. eleagnus7

eleagnus7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking into the acupuncture, but as I live in the country there are not near facilities available.