1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

koi advice

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by kirk, Jun 7, 2013.

1. kirk

kirk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone,

just after any advice really, I have a 10,000 litre raised koi pond, ive been very lucky with it being very clear and no problems as of yet in the last 16 months since being built.

I would like to know if anyone has any idea as to what size koi need to be to spawn etc. My larger koi have been chasing each other around the pond over the last few days, and I cant tell what is male or female. I have put 4 mop heads in a few corners of the pond just in case. I have goromo koi and mixed variety, and a couple of others but not sure of the names and cant pronounce half of them. I have uploaded a video to youtube, and have many more uploading now, but are taking ages. Could someone who knows about koi please take a look at one or two of the videos ive uploaded and see if they van breed or if anyone can tell any of the sexes or anything. I would very gratefully appreciate any advice. I have learnt a lot and am still trying to learn.

Here is the vid I uploaded so you can take a look:

More are currently being uploaded.

2. kirk

kirk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry forgot to mention the video in the link isnt brilliant, but more better quality ones are being uploaded now, so you can view these shortly. Thank you.

3. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    wow, I wish my pond was that clear! I have some koi, but tbh I am pretty ignorant about their breeding habits as I have never tried to breed them.

Hopefully by me bumping this up, you will get a more helpful response :)

4. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I'm not sure what size they need to be but I believe the females need a certain number of hours at a certain temperature to produce eggs for the following year and they spawn only when the water reaches a certain temperature. If they are chasing each other you will probably be in luck. The goldfish will spawn before the koi do. there will be a lot of splashing usually early in the morning and the koi will follow after the goldfish eating the eggs. The way to tell the difference between koi and goldfish is that goldfish are black/brown when they leave the fry stage and change colour or not much later, koi do not have the black stage, although it takes years for the patterns to fully develop. You will probably get much more accurate advice on a fish keeping site, koi keeping and gardening often don't go together because the garden gradually disappears under bigger and bigger ponds and filtration systems.
    :psnp: