1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladybirds

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by LyndaG, Feb 15, 2015.

1. LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,390
    Sorry to post beautiful little ladybirds in pest section! Last year I was happily banging about in the undergrowth with my camera as I had found some really exciting (told you I needed to get a life!) ladybirds. Some were black with one red spot, some were black with a few red spots and some were the usual red colour but with loads of spots. Along comes nosey man wearing, somewhat unbelievably, PLUS FOURS :roflol::roflol::roflol: People have died in Medway for less! Without an invite or prior discussion he decides to inform me that the ladybirds are all foreign invaders and cannibals who "fornicate freely" (clearly no morals!) and are killing our native little red beasties. He then squashed some with his bare thumb. Ugh. He said if he didn't in 5-10 years there would be no native ladybirds left in UK. Now it's either ANOTHER fruit loop on the loose here in the Garden of England and his attire did suggest that, but what if what he said was correct? I could no more squash a ladybird than fly to the moon. Anybody else heard this pls?

• Like Like x 1
    • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
      Ratings:
      +1,559
      I have heard there are invader killer ladybirds yes but I can't remember the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I'm of the opinion that Nature will always balance itself out if Man keeps his fingers out. As for the Fool with the Plus Fours and the indiscriminate Thumb he is an idiot plus 4.:dunno:

I leave these Guys alone when they appear in the garden.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      and these
      [​IMG]
      But squish these most certainly.
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        • Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          An
          [​IMG]
          Basic description of a harlequin ladybird:
          [​IMG]

• Size and shape
          : large (7-8 mm or about 1/4 inch), round

• Elytra (wing case) ground colour: pale yellow-orange, orange-red, red or black; highly variable

• Elytra pattern: 0-21 orange-red or black spots, or grid pattern; highly variable

• Most common forms in UK : orange with 15-21 black spots: black with two or four orange or red spots

• Pronotum pattern: white or cream with up to 5 spots or fused lateral spots forming 2 curved lines, M-shaped mark or solid trapezoid

• Other characteristics: elytra with wide keel at base; legs almost always brown

Distinguishing the harlequin ladybird from other British species:
          If its less than 5 mm (1/5 inch) in length, it is definitely nota harlequin ladybird.

If its red with precisely 7 black spots, it is a 7-spotladybird.

If it has white or cream spots, it is a striped ladybird, anorange ladybird or a cream-spot ladybird.

If it is large, burgundy coloured and has 15 black spots, it is an eyed ladybird

If it has an orange pronotum, and fine hairs all over theelytra, it is a bryony ladybird.

If it is black with four or six red spots, two of which are right at the front of the outside margin of the elytra, it is amelanic form of the 2-spot ladybird.
          Harlequin ladybird (H. axyridis) - some of the colour variants
          [​IMG]
          H. axyridissuccinea

[​IMG]
          H. axyridisspectabilis [​IMG]
          H. axyridisconspicua

[​IMG]
          H. axyridis larva

[​IMG]

Harlequin and 2-spot ladybird

[​IMG]

Harlequin and pine ladybird

Common native species which might cause confusion
          [​IMG]
          7-spot
          [​IMG]

Cream-spot
          [​IMG]

2-spot
          [​IMG]

Striped
          [​IMG]

Orange
          [​IMG]

Eyed

[​IMG]

Harlequin ladybird larva and pupa

[​IMG]

Variability of harlequin ladybirds from one London site, September 2005

• Informative Informative x 7
          • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
            Ratings:
            +1,559
            Blimey. I don't think I'd trust myself to identify a harlequin over a native

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Easy............
              upload_2015-2-15_23-23-39.jpeg

upload_2015-2-15_23-24-59.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 8
              • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,257
                Judging by the number of aphids around there are more than enough to satisfy the appetite of both native and "invasive" species. My nasturtium's last year were covered in aphids even though at one point I counted about 20 ladybirds and ladybird larvae on the plant.

MrH, whose job it is to squish the aphids:eeew:, is very much in favour of leaving the ladybirds alone irrespective of their country of origin.

• Agree Agree x 4
                • LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,390
                  Thanks folks, that's all really useful information - thank you. I think I am also from the school of "let nature balance itself out and leave it alone" the thought of killing anything disgusts me to be honest (incidentally, I don't judge anybody else, I'm only referring to myself x) @ARMANDII your photos are lovely, just out of interest why would you kill the pretty red one? I don't think I've seen one of those in my garden. I have had the little bunch of baby spiders though, they are baby spiders, I think? Thanks again folks, really useful info there x

• Like Like x 1
                  • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +89,835
                    That's it ,that's the last time I wear them plus fours:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 4
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,257
                      That's a lily beetle, very attractive but plays havoc with your lilies or fritillaries. Despite its bright red colour which makes it easy to spot, if you disturb it it will drop to the ground and land on its back so you can't find it. Cunning little beetle. Its larvae have a pretty unpleasant habit also - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=553

Another fairly attractive but distructive one to look out for is the Rosemary beetle https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?PID=555. One of our lavenders had lots of them last year. image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                        Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
                      • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,389
                        there's a huge variety of ladybirds!

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,390
                          With brogues and long wooley socks as well. In mitigation, I'm from a biking family, Dad rode bikes for years and that's the culture I followed most of my life, so I'm afraid the plus four look just doesn't do it for me :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            As HsuH explained, Lynda, the Lily Beetle is a very handsome beast and I do destroy it by hand, not chemicals, with regret. It, and it's larvae, can wreak havoc on Lilies overnight with the Larvae probably doing the most damage. It is the only insect that I have to wage war on as it will multiply in numbers quickly and just devastate plants. It will frequent other plants as well but lilies are where it does so much damage. They are pretty stupid as they have a great liking to bask in the Sun on the top a Leaf , so much so that I often image them with a deckchair, sunglasses, and an icecream, when they're not mating

Scarlet lily beetleLilioceris lilii
                            [​IMG]
                            Look for
                            These bright red beetles are very distinctive and therefore quite easy to spot on affected plants. Also, look for holes in leaves, stems and flowers, left by the small slimy black larvae.

Plants affected
                            • They're highly destructive to lilies (Lilium), and fritillaries (Fritillaria).
                            About Scarlet lily beetle
                            • These bright red beetles, with distinctive black legs and antennae, are an invasive species which was first recorded in the UK during the 1940s.
                            • They're also known as red lily beetles and are now commonly found across the south-east of England, and have recently been reported in parts of Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
                            • When disturbed, adults emit a high pitch squeak, perhaps as a warning to other beetles.
                            • Adults overwinter in the soil and emerge in late-March to early April.
                            • Adults will continue to mate and feed from spring until autumn.
                            • After mating, females will lay small groups of bright orange eggs on the underside of leaves.
                            • Larvae hatch a few days later as red or orange-coloured grubs with black heads and three pairs of legs on their upper body.
                            • As they feed, the larvae cover themselves in their own sticky black excrement.
                            • Lily beetle larvae are usually found on the underside of leaves where they feed from the tip and work back to the stem.
                            • Any larvae which survive to become adults will drop to the soil in late autumn to overwinter, and emerge again the next spring.
                            Treatment
                            Chemical
                            Products containing the following chemical ingredients are all effective on Scarlet lily beetle

• Pyrethrum
                            • Natural fatty acids
                            • Surfactant-based products
                            Note: It is important to read manufacturer's instructions for use and the associated safety data information before applying chemical treatments.

Organic
                            • Inspect plants carefully in early spring and remove any adults and larvae by hand to prevent infestations becoming established.
                            • Use netting and fleece to contain the pests and stop adults moving between plants.
                            • Replant pot-grown lilies and fritillarias using fresh compost in early spring before the overwintering adult beetles emerge from the soil.
                            • There are no biological controls commercially available, although a range of native parasites and predators will feed on both adult and larval stages. So encourage these by establishing a natural balance of wildlife in your garden and avoid using chemicals.
                            Prevention
                            • Check plants regularly for signs of infestation and deal with them as soon as they appear.
                            • Encourage insect-eating birds by putting up feeders in winter and provide nesting boxes in spring.

• LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,390
                            Oh gosh - I don't think I've come across this one, I'm sure I would remember as it's so distinctive. And I'm growing Lillies this year, I must keep my eyes peeled. Thank you for all the helpful info x

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1