1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lake District...what do you know about it?

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by miraflores, Nov 23, 2007.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi there,
    could anybody give me details about the Lake District..what's the best period to visit it (surelly it will not coincide with the cheapest period!!) also the main attractions?

I actually had an enquiry from Italy, apparently, some Beatrix Potter fan...
    Thank you in advance !!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,388
    Hi mira

I know the Lake District very well and have written a book of walks in the area and take some people on walking holidays - but only do that for friends nowadays.

The best period for visiting depends on many factors. What they want to do and whether they are just wanting to drive around and see the sights, stroll, walk hike or climb.

The main attraction of course is the beautiful scenery. Fantastic views can be had at all levels and it is not necessary to climb to the top of the mountains unless you really want to.

There are interesting towns, pretty villages, lovely lakes with some having ferries or water sports, historic buildings and museums, beautiful gardens, narrow gauge railways and many other things, plus Hill Top (Beatrix Potter's home) and some small Beatrix Potter museums.

If you type into Google 'Lake District' you are bound to get the sites for 'The National Park', 'The National Trust' (who own over a quarter of the Lake District) and the 'English Tourist Board'.

If you want to know anything more then please ask. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi shiney and thank you for the answer. Lake District sounds a bit like Scotland and Ireland (vaguely Sweden..?). Open spaces,incontamined nature walks etc, I am pretty sure it must be a lovely place. So the weather in that case would have to be pretty good. Would one find reliable good weather only in the summer or also spring? And how is the weather during the year...?
    Thank you again for the assistance!

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,388
    Hi mira

Being the 'Lake' district it is, as you would expect, quite rainy. That is how the lakes keep full. It is like Scotland but very compact.

The climate statistics would probably show the summer as being the drier period but it is very hit and miss. Good times for going are April and May for the spring colour and September and October for wonderful lighting for photography.

In my thread where I put up photos from the Lake District most of them were taken in September. You will see that most of the time the weather was fantastic but that sort of weather seems to follow me around [​IMG] so I suppose the best time to go is whenever I am up there [​IMG] :D .

In answer to your question about reliable weather. The only thing you can rely upon is that it may change! It can be sunny in one valley and raining in the next.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    IMO, the best time to visit is the autumn. if you go expecting rain then you wont be disapointed but the scenery makes up.

Always stayed near Great Langdale. In the summer youll find it very hot walking and spend ages stuck in traffic.

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    A good time is May/June or autumn for the autumn colours. Not Easter or summer holidays. Why? Because once the schools are on holiday the place is heaving. I think it is probably the most visited national park in the UK, but it is the most beautiful.
    Just that too many tourists spoil it. At peak periods you even get lots of people on the mountain tops so they need to go off season.

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,388
    Geoff and Pro are right. If possible, try not to go in the school holidays. Too many cars, too many people and even if the weather is not hot you get too hot walking - and the lighting is poor for photos.

8. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi folks. Me and the mrs went to The Lakes this year (July) and it rained EVERY day (some days all day long). However, we`ve been before at that time of the year and it`s been good, it`s just one of those places that seems to have it`s own climate. I can`t say I agree entirely about the crowding issue. Of course, the towns get VERY congested, but on some of the walks we did we saw very few people. Actually, I quite like seeing people around when on walks in the Fells, it re-assures me that I`m on the right track ! As shiney has said, there`s plenty to do and see, but, a PENCIL MUSEUM !!! Might want to give that one a miss :D Cheers...freddy.

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We have been up there in the Coppermines Valley in July time and have had it boiling hot,so hot in fact we had to go out walking early and then get back to base camp before the heat hit us.This year we went up there for two weeks and only had rain overnight one day,the rest of the time it was warm and sunny as my holiday thread photos show.

We were suppossed to go up there in July this year but had to move the holiday and we met a couple on one of our walks who said that July was a washout.You can never tell these days what the weather will do.Also we thought that in September there wouldn't be that many people around but it was packed in the shopping areas.

It all depends what people expectations are for them to have a real good holiday [​IMG]

10. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Kandyfloss, you`re right about expectations. One thing`s for sure, it`s the most beautiful place I`ve ever been to, simply stunning. As for the heat, I`d take that over wet weather ANY day [​IMG] If it`s solitude you want, there`s always the Pencil Museum :D Cheers...freddy.

11. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The crowds tend to go to the well known places. The towns and villages such as Grasmere and Ambleside can look a bit like outside Old Trafford after a football match. Anywhere that is on a Wainwright walk will be busy and the associated car parks get full early in the day. Years ago I was up Great Gable and to get to and from Green Gable along the narrow edge you had to queue.
    So now we tend to go in the off season if we can. if you don't have kids and are not a teacher then June is best. Its warm, the days are long and there is not quite as many people about.

12. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi geoff. A few years back we went in june, turned out to be the wettest june on record [​IMG] I can`t say I`ve ever experienced any queues, but sure, it can be very busy. We did Scafell Pike one day, and generally there were a lot of people about but not so many as to spoil the experience. The thing about walking in the lakes is that you can always find somewhere great to walk. Being a `towny` myself, maybe I have a different perspective on it. Cheers...freddy.

13. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Geoff and Freddy, We have also done Scafell Pike and then two days later we did Coniston Old Man.We enjoyed both walks but found it quiet rough going where the paths have been eroded through all the people traffic up and down the Mountains.

I would hate to have to go somwhere where you had to queue up to walk along a path.

We did Ben Nevis and also Snowden and as well as the people traffic we were shocked at the amount of litter on the top of Ben Nevis.It is so silly that people will carry bottles and cans of drink which are full so add weight to their walk,but as soon as they get to the top and have drunk the drinks they just discarded the bottles and tins.It drove us mad to see it all :(

14. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We have camped in the Lake District annually for years now, and visited at other times too. Absolutely love the area around Ambleside - though the town itself can be very busy as already mentioned.

Would have to recommend Grizedale Forest for those with a love of walking/art/sculpture, Tarn Hows for those that dont like walking, but love beautiful scenery, and Levens Hall for all us gardening fanatics!
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-5k2b6b
    http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/tarnhow.htm
    http://www.levenshall.co.uk/

15. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Jarbax,thanks for the links.We love all areas of the Lake District because it reminds us so much of Scotland but on a smaller scale and the Lakes are an easy drive for us from where we live.We even spent our Honeymoon up there twenty seven years ago [​IMG]