1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Landscape fabric to make life easier

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by Fat Controller, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,472
    Having had quite an awful year garden wise last year, I have decided that this year I will use landscape fabric on quite a lot of the garden to plant through (sunflowers, dahlias, lavatera, marigolds, calendula, zinnia mostly) and allow me to try and enjoy the garden without being overwhelmed with weeds etc.

At the back of the garden, I have a sort of veggie plot, which today I have turned over ready to start planting up soon. Toward the back will be sweetcorn (and maybe some sunflowers) with leeks and onions in front (or at least that is the plan) - I wasn't going to use fabric on this area initially, but I am now considering it. The worry is, could I plant leeks and onions thorough the fabric successfully? The seedlings are, as you'd expect, tiny - would the fabric create too much heat for them?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,264
    Hi FC, I can't recommend this approach highly enough if you're trying to cut down on unnecessary work. It's true that laying the membrane down and planting through it is the best approach for permanent plantings but I started using strips in the polytunnel too, wherever things are going to be planted in rows. That just leaves a thin strip of soil to keep weed-free around the veg. It perhaps wouldn't work so well when planting out loads of annuals, though. By the time you've made holes in it for all the seedlings, it would be quicker and easier to just invest in a few bags of sterile mulch?

3. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +670
    Absolutely agree with @noisette47 . Yes of course in an ideal world…what is that?, beautifully tended soil with not a weed in sight is the ultimate goal BUT there is no way on earth I can keep my acre plus garden weed free and I am also surrounded by “ grass” verges containing every weed known to man. Some people turn their noses up at membrane and bark. They either have postage stamp sized gardens, a squad of gardeners/ helpers or have very boring lives and don’t mind spending every working hour bent double weeding
    @Fat Controller you need the membrane that does not fray. Mine does which is a bit of a pain but I do not make lots of holes in mine as use it on shrub beds. With your application it is a must for the fabric not to fray. I think @shiney uses membrane on his veg patch, he might know a brand that is good for your application. Personally I would maybe use a combination of membrane certainly for the likes of sweetcorn, I use old chopped up carpet squares for my corn, cauliflower and broccoli ( not attractive but out of sight and works very well, cost zero.) and perhaps bark chip for round your annuals which is what Noisette is recommending. A couple of inches of decorative bark chip not composted bark should do the job for you or at least reduce the weed plus both the membrane and bark saves on the need to water. Bark chip round annuals can look quite nice too.
    Maybe a bit late for sowing onions even down in the South? but probably still ok for onion sets. Gardening should always be a pleasure not a pain and anything which cuts down the laborious tasks are good as far as I am concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,280
      I have used membrane for at least 15 years. I use it in the veg plot and have covered the whole area- about half of an allotment.

For planting I cut an X in the membrane about 4" - 5" for each of the two cuts. That leaves four triangles that I fold back under the membrane and it leaves a square section of ground open. I'm sorry but I don't know what membrane I bought as I bought it from a local nursery and it was what they use. It doesn't fray and the original membrane is still performing well. Each Autumn I just roll it back, pull out the very few weeds (usually things like bindweed), add compost and roll it back and pin it down. Over the years some of the pins that I originally made for it have disappeared (through carelessness) and I now buy metal tent pegs instead.

One of my neighbours doesn't grow veg or annuals and just has trees and shrubs. He covered all his beds with membrane and then spread bark on top. He, almost, never has to do any weeding. Just the occasional one that pops up in the bark.

I'll see whether I can phone the nursery (if I can remember the name) and find out the make. I virtually never go that way and they're just over ten miles away.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,615
      Is membrane a magnet for slugs, often wonder what's going on under that.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,472
        Thanks for the replies :)

I have already laid some membrane, and I'm afraid that it will be annuals that is going through it - thing is, even if I do the large area at the back, I doubt I will use more than a roll and a half maybe two rolls... at £20 or so for a roll, it seems like an absolute bargain. Some weeds I can deal with, but I am still playing catch up really as the garden has never been right since 2017 with brambles and loganberry being one of the biggest problems... no matter how often I seem to knock them back, they reappear, so I am hoping that excluding the light will at the least significantly reduce the amount and let me keep up.

If I can plant through the same holes again next spring, then great - if not, I don't really have any issue lifting it and replacing it as I am not exactly using tons. To be fair, I may even lift it come winter anyway as I have potentially secured a good source of rotted horse manure from a friend who will deliver, so I would lift the fabric and get that on the ground to overwinter?

The fabric I am using doesn't seem to fray so far, so fingers crossed...

For the likes of leeks and onions, I am thinking that rather than a cross it would be better to cut a longer slit to allow a row to be planted?

• hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +670
        Not really in my experience. I use membrane with bark on top to disguise the membrane. I don’t think slugs go a bomb on membrane! The only down side as far as I am concerned is it means I cannot add manure to the beds. That said I dug in vast quantities before I laid the membrane and some beds like this 1 below have had membrane down for about 7 years. You do get weeds in time as the bark composts down , but most weeds do not get their roots through the membrane so easy to dispose of. The likes of Aquilegia and Kent Belles do but I leave some as they are quite pretty. My pet hate …….Spanish blue AND white and pink Bells still manage to get through the membrane which drives me mad but I do keep pulling the wretched things out. In 20 years of trying I still have them but at least we are sort of drawing atm. They are not increasing but I will never get rid of them totally much to my annoyance, damned things.
        6C0FD698-BE7A-4DE0-8E7D-AA3A37683CBD.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,615
          I'm not sure laying fabric on brambles etc. is a good idea FC.
          I think they are likely to just grow horizontally until they reach day light.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
            +670
            I do tend to agree with Pete @Fat Controller . Membrane will let water through. You might be better with black polythene in the areas with the likes of bramble and say ground elder. I know it is terribly non pc but there are times when weed killer is the only option. I have a you know what of a bramble that has grown under the path. I have hacked and hauled at the damn thing and to little avail. I am now waiting till it has loads of leaves and it is going to get zapped, it has drawn blood at least 3 times so it is going to be killed if it is the last thing I do:)

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,472
              I was thinking more to suppress them just enough to let me grow this year and then hit them with SBK at the end of the year? We have already defeated them right back and yesterday turned the whole area over using the electric tiller:

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 1.19.12 PM.jpeg

Still needs raking etc. you can just see the remnants of the loganberry at the back against the fence, so I know it will grow again this year. Trouble is, I can't use SBK and then plant stuff as it needs 6 weeks at least for it to degrade.

The membrane does look as though it is going to be an advantage

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 1.19.12 PM (1).jpeg

Still got this side to do

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-01 at 1.19.11 PM.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,280
                We have virtually no slugs at all in our veg plot so it seems to keep them away.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,615
                  You dont think it might be the dry weather then?
                  I'm seeing snails but not many slugs, they are hiding up until we get a drop of rain.

• Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,280
                    We have had some rain in the 15 years :loll:

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +46,040
                      I get a lot of slugs and snails under mine. Down the allotment I get slow worms underneath too so I am wary about treading on them.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +85,615
                        I didn't think it rained in Shineyland.;)

• Funny Funny x 1