1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Large evergreen climber for pergola

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Richard88, May 10, 2020.

1. Richard88

Richard88 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everybody,
    I have replaced my rotten old decking area with new and built a pergola over it. I'm dying to finish it but I've had a catastrophic cycle crash in which I broke my left collar bone, right wrist and a couple of ribs.
    Anyway what I'm currently trying to decide on is the best evergreen climber to grow over it. I was a bit worried by some research I did that showed some climbers do not grow beyond 3 meters, not quite enough to reach the top of the pergola from the front which is just over 3 meters (2.4 meters from the back). The pergola will get full sun all day for almost all of the year but will obviously be open to cold winds (apparently this is a problem for some). I live in East Hampshire, the soil is quite good, a little sandy and drains well. I would be prepared to plant a climber in each corner if necessary to get the required cover. Not really bothered either way about flowers, my wife suffers from hay fever anyway, I do like attractive leaves though and it would be great if it grew quite quickly so I don't have to wait years for the pergola to be covered. I've included a photo of said pergola to make things clearer, the area is about 5x5 meters.
    Thanks for any ideas you can offer.
    IMG_2887.JPG

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
  3. Telmadee

Telmadee Gardener

Lab tech
    Ratings:
    +351
    I've planted an honeysuckle in my garden and its growing like a good un and smells beautiful

4. Richard88

Ratings:
    +3
    I was led to believe that grapevine was deciduous?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      You could try a Clematis Armandii which will cover your Pergola with ease. It's evergreen, is supposedly a Spring flowering Clematis but now, due to climate change, flowers again throughout the year. I've got several varieties of Armandii for several years now with one growing through my Acer Brilliantissismum, I also garden on around 350' of pure sand but have improved the soil over the years.
      upload_2020-5-11_11-37-0.png

upload_2020-5-11_11-37-21.png

I think you would only need the one plant but, obviously, you would need to plant it about 3" inches deeper than in it's pot and you would, like all climbers, have to train it into place but it will cover the Pergola without a problem.

• Like Like x 2
      • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
        +491
        Akebia certainly grows big enough. It's got pretty leaves, attractive (and slightly unusual) flowers, and there isn't enough of it around for you to be sensitised to it hayfever-wise.

• Like Like x 1
        • Richard88

Ratings:
          +3
          Thanks for all your suggestions. I rather like the sound of Akebia as it's more resistant to cold winds which it will get plenty of. Hopefully I'll get the project completed this year and I'll put up some pics of the finished article.

• Like Like x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,320
            it is, but who sits in the pergoda over winter

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,629
              I don't get the idea of an ever green climber.
              To me it's nice to get some sunshine in the winter, ever greens can be a bit too much in winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Richard88

Ratings:
                +3
                True, but it fills the view up the garden from the house so I want it to look green all the time.

having second thoughts about the Akebia as I have learned that it’s an invasive species. Going to try Clematis Armandii and hope it copes with the weather.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Oh, it's hardy enough, I assure you.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Richard88

Ratings:
                +3
                Hello again, so I went online and bought myself a Clematis Armandii which my wife has kindly planted because I'm still a bit broken. I'm not too sure about the condition of it though. As you can see from the images several of the leaves are dead and the top had been cut off (pruned). Is this going to be ok? As you can tell I know very little about plants at this stage.

Attached Files:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Hi Richard, I have Clematis Armandii, some of it's varieties, and a few more other Clematis in the garden. I've had the Clematis Armandii for over 20 years and it can flummox people who have just bought it although it is very easy to grow, has a fantastic scent, lovely flowers, and of course is an Evergreen.
                Don't take the description of "Evergreen" too literally, Richard, for any Evergreen plant shed some leaves that will turn brown and fall off and Clematis Armandii is no different, but don't worry about that because, as I say, it is a natural function. So seeing some of the thick, leathery leaves turn brown is nothing to worry about, you can merely cut/pull them off or it will shed them for you naturally.
                Clematis Armandii is a strong and aggressive grower and will spread around 20' - 30' and mine is planted under a Acer Brilliantissismum and has spread throughout the tree
                upload_2020-6-1_10-57-31.png

upload_2020-6-1_10-57-59.png

upload_2020-6-1_10-58-38.png

The scent of the flowers is stunning and will stop you in your tracks and bring a smile to your face. You don't need to prune until you have trained it over where you want on the Pergola, and then only to keep it in check, but I would just let it grow and just tie it in as you go. Nor do you need to prune Clematis Armandii annually as you do with other Clematis so leave it alone just to grow on as you would, say, a climbing rose etc. So, for the time being, just let the Clematis settle in, keep it watered but not soaked, tie any stems, that you can, against the Pergola and then train them as they grow.
                So, don't worry about leaves turning brown as it's a natural thing for Clematis Armandii to do, don't prune it annually as you do other Clematis, just let it grow and train it to go where you want it to. Do enjoy the scent of the flowers and get yourself a bag to put the brown leaves in:heehee:
                One other thing I forgot to mention is that Clematis Armandii is supposed to be a Spring flowering Clematis but due to, in my opinion, the effects of Climate Change you should find it when established flowering on and off through the 12 months of the year........bonus!!

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Richard88

Ratings:
                  +3
                  Thanks for all that brilliant information, I feel like I've made the right choice. I was just a bit worried about the state it turned up in, I guess plants are going to suffer a bit durning delivery.

• Friendly Friendly x 1