1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Last year's wildflowers

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Coffee, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Coffee

Coffee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm kinda new to gardening, I'll also be honest I'm kinda lazy with it too. I have a bundle of questions to ask about my way forward in the garden and I think one post is not going to give me all the answers I need. So here goes me littering up the forums with my novice questions....

Last year I built a bit of a pond in the garden mainly to attract wildlife. I sowed some wildflowers around it in march and considering it was my first time they come out well, especially late July-september.
    I sowed these thinking they would grow back the following year, if not the same but thicker or more of them. But someone said they will not, so I'm I. 2 minds do I sow more or leave it and see what grows back? I enjoyed looking at them last year and will be annoyed if I don't re-seed and they don't grow back. Also the packets I bought this year I planned to do another area with, so if they don't grow back it's another trip to the shop and more money.

I'll enclose a pic of the ones I think I seeded last year (cornflower), could someone tell me if the grow back?
    If not which ones should I invest in to give me year on year re-growth without buying expensive seeds every year?
    Seed's are getting more and more expensive, as you all may know so I want to limit my outgoings for maximum effect.
    Second pic enclosed is ones I bought for this year's sowing.

Attached Files:

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,643
    I'll answer your question with a question. Do you see anyone going around reseeding meadows?
    A lot of wildflowers are classed as hardy annuals, this means they grow from seed, flower and set new seed all in a single season. Did you leave the seed heads on the plants or did you remove them/pull them out? If you didn't touch them, there should have been enough seed dispersed for the following years display

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Coffee

Ratings:
      +7

Ok thx, I let the wildflowers grow all they way untill late October when most of them died off. Then cut them down.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,643
      Might be worth reseeding again this year

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,643
      Just thought of this, don't tidy up that area until spring, it gives the seed heads time to drop the seeds

• Coffee

Ratings:
      +7
      Ok thx for the reply, I'll re seed on the next week or so as it looks like it's warming up.
      So for this year/next let them grow die off, cut/mow them down in spring and they'll have dropped seed for enough re growth?

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,643
      Yep, that's it. Or, if you don't like the scruffy look over winter, mow late October but don't pick up the mowings. There's also a host of things beneficial to the garden that feast on the seeds

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Coffee

Ratings:
        +7
        Thx... I'll do this going forward