1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest Cutting Success

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Bilbo675, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    ....I'm having a good year with cuttings, which is very satisfying, especially given that I'm managing to root things I've not done before. The latest on the list are 3 Ornamental Grape cuttings - all 3 rooted :dancy: and 3 Euonymus Planipes cuttings - all 3 rooted :dancy:, wahoo :biggrin::dbgrtmb:

The former were taken from a lovely specimen in a garden that look after once a week and the latter from a shrub I bought about 10 years ago and is my mum's garden :)

• Like Like x 3
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Top one bilbo,ive just done the rose cutting hope they root:)
      I was thinking about you today with you germinating the bottle brush seedling asi did some 2 yrs ago so have been babysitting approx 30 of them:gaah:hope they flower next yr!:)
      Anyway...i took some cuttings from them approx 2 month back and theyve taken :dancy: i didnt think they would but they did :) so you could put yours on your cuttings list for next summer :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 4
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Funtastic!!! :ccheers:

It's very encouraging reading about people's successes; well done Bilbo and joolz :yay:

• Like Like x 2
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Well done Bilbo , what's you top tip on taking cuttings :scratch: I have very mixed success rates.:mad:

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          Hi Harry, a few tips that may help;
          • Always take the cutting with a sharp pair of pruners or a sharp knife to minimise crushing the end of the cutting.
          • If you can't do the cutting straight away ten I find keeping them in a plastic bag thats been misted inside helps.
          • With most cuttings when preparing them cut below a node and remove all but a top pair of leaves; if these are large cut them in half.
          • I like to use rooting hormone powder but its a personal preference, you could use gel or nothing at all.
          • I like a mix of compost and perlite to insert the cutting in to at roughly a 60:40 ratio.
          • A lot of people like to put a bag over the pot of cuttings to maintain moisture, but I've rooted loads this year without bags, instead placing them in either my blow-away greenhouse or coldframe, which provide semi-shade.
          • Keep checking them regularly to make sure they don't dry out.
          • Keep an eye on the bottom of the pots because quite often roots appear before any new growth appears.
          • Once they're ready to be split and potted up individually be gentle and still keep them in a sheltered spot like the coldframe until they're established.
          • Right now is still a fairly good time to be taking semi-ripe cuttings from shrubs and perennials.
          Hope this helps a little Harry, you could write pages on cuttings and propagation :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            ......More cuttings now rooted; Dahlia Cream Delight within a week!!! and Verbena Bonariensis :dbgrtmb: :dancy:

• Like Like x 2
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Cheers Bilbo , I'll follow them pointers :dbgrtmb: I'll take my geranium cuttings in a week or so , I find these are OK , no rooting powder and do not cover.
              For the few others I may take is gel or rooting powder best ( does gel go off after a year ? )

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
              Ratings:
              +6,654
              I think most say that the rooting hormone properties of gels and powders decrease after a year, it won't do any harm but may be less affective....:)

• Like Like x 1