1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest sowing time for mangetout peas?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sian in Belgium, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    we are enjoying the Oregon sugar pod peas, but would like to have more!! Getting enough for 2 portions per week, but not many flowers at the moment...

I've got about 20 plants, in three close rows. Are they fading out now? Is there anything I can do to prolong the cropping? I assume that it is too late to sow some more? (I did a second sowing early June, and these have not really started producing yet).

Any advice and/or tips greatly appreciated

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Once they start to fade there is not much you can do, keep them watered and fed. For anyone in the UK it's too late to get a crop by sowing now, maybe you get a longer summer in Belgium so it may be worth a try.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
      +9,233
      Thanks @JWK for your advice.

Because of the very sandy soil below the veg bed (although it is over 3 foot of compost / horse manure, lovingly shovelled in by yours truly last autumn), I suspect that I may have been a little slow to water. We are threatened with rain most days, but very little actually arrives, and if it does, it is often in the form of a torrential downpour. Thinking about it, the water barrel pond level has dropped. I think I'll be getting the hosepipe out this evening!

We do seem to have longer summers here (ie late autumn frosts), so I might just pop in a handful of seeds, to see what happens. After all, the pack has over 200 in it, and I would want to get fresh seeds after 4-5 years!!

I will keep you posted in the results of this "experiment". :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,057
        Yes please let us know if it succeeds Sian :blue thumb:

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        I grow loads of Mange Tout and now just save a few pods for sowing the following year which means I don't even have to buy seed. I have found my saved seed actually germinates quicker/better than bought.
        I have had reasonable success with sowing really late (August) but growing them in the greenhouse. I don't know if you have 1 but maybe as you are in Belgium it would be the same sort of conditions come late summer/Autumn as in my unheated greenhouse in Scotland:). That said quite often we get dreadful weather in July and August followed by a really nice September and October. Certainly worth a go IMO.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
          +9,233
          Thank you both!

We do have longer summers (start sooner and finish later), so...

Yesterday evening I soaked the bed, and will do so again tonight (high of 31 degrees yesterday, and today will probably be 34), and I will pop a few new seeds in the now-moist soil.

• Like Like x 1