1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lavender looking a bit rubbish this year...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by theweerabbit, Jun 24, 2014.

1. theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    I bought new lavender the other day and it bears no comparison to my lavender from a couple of years ago! It's went sort of woody at the roots and the purple flowers aren't very purple anymore. Have I killed it? Is there any way that I can revive it?

Attached Files:

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Hallo Weerabbit,
    I take it the piccie on the left was last year's and the right is this year's? Lavenders will go woody and straggly unless you cut them back at the end of the flowering season in late Autumn. Then they are motivated into producing new, young fresh growth the following Spring,
    Jenny namaste

• Agree Agree x 2
    • theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      Thank you for your reply Jenny! They are both the same plant. Some of the buds are quite nice but it's certainly not as full and colourful as it was last year and the base is very sparse. How far should I cut it back? If I cut it back this autumn do you think it will recover for next year? :)

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,177
      I'm never sure about answering the "will it recover for next year?" question but if it were mine, I'd cut back to the base of this year's growth and give it a bit of feed this Autumn- and a mulch,
      Jenny .

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,631
        I cut mine back at the end of summer last year, almost to the old wood and trimmed it back again in the spring.
        It's still very woody at the base but there's quite a patch of it and it looks great!

P1030165 (640x480).jpg

Which reminds me I must cut some fresh for the kitchen wall - this is from last year.

P1030234 (640x480).jpg

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,541
          You could take some cuttings Weerabbit, they are fairly easy to grow. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,666
            Trim all the old flowers and leafy topgrowth at the end of summer and wait until it starts growing the following year if you're chopping into older wood. Don't just hack the lot off, be selective when cutting into the old wood

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              I take a stronger view. Once Lavender gets woody then it will look a mess, and it will not recover from being cut back into older wood, so you cannot tidy it up.

It might recover if you cut back leaving just a couple of shoots on each stem. If the stem re-shoots from lower down then next year you can cut back to where the new growth came from, if not you are stuck with your straggly plant I'm afraid. Whatever you do do not cut back to old wood, it won't recover.

I would take cuttings, grow them on next year, and plant out next summer if big enough (plant in June, its warm enough then for the plant to get under-way quickly, whereas if planted much later it won't be established safely for a hard winter); in the meantime trim after flowering and put up with it looking straggly next year.

Going forwards, with your revived new plant :), you need a more aggressive routine to keep it trim and not let it grow straggly.

There is a bit more to it than just pruning after flowering IMHO.

Yours is Lavendula stoechas, rather than the English Lavender L. angustifolia, and if you dead-head it then it will repeat flower during the summer. Note that it is not as hardy as English Lavender, so make sure it is planted with really good drainage (planting on a mound will help). By deadheading to get repeat flowering the correct time for trimming is harder to judge (compared to English Lavender which flowers once and is then clearly "over" :) and is reasy for pruning by mid August), so L. stoechas are harder to keep in shape and worth planning on replacing them every 5 years, maybe 10 years if you prune them well.

I would prune L. stoechas hard after the first flowering, and then it will reflower, and finally give it a light trim towards the end of the season, but no later than mid September (to give the shoots time to recover before winter). If managed from new the hard prune should be able to cut them back to about 9" (and it should be done that brutally!) but there must be some shoots below where you cut. If you cut to leave 1" or so of new shoots then the plant will often sprout from the old wood, lower down, but if you cut back below the lowest green shoot then the branch may not reshoot, and it it doesn't then it will die next year - that's why you cannot cut back hard, and need to adopt a really stern pruning regime (or just propagate them every couple of years and replace the plants instead).

There are schools of thought, but a light trim at end of Feb, or early March, will make the plants bush-up and flower better.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
                +16
                Thanks a lot for your advice :) I'll do that!

• theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
                +16
                Goodness that looks GREAT!!! Lovely!!!

• theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
                +16
                I'll try that too. How would I do that? I'm a total amateur if you haven't guessed already hehe :)

• theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
                +16
                Thank you!

• theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
                +16
                Thank you SO MUCH for this advice and for taking the time to write all of that. I'll do all the things you've stated and see how I go with it. You've helped me a good few times on here..you're a genius! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,541
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • theweerabbit

theweerabbit Gardener

Ratings:
                    +16
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1