1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lavender plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by magician176, Feb 28, 2010.

1. magician176

magician176 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I would like to know what the most popular Lavender are in the UK. I once visited a friend in Southport , Merseyside and she had a huge patch planted with lavender in her back yard. I live in NZ now and would like to know what lavender type I must get. The lavender we already got here are short and small, some are big with long stems and a short stubby flowers. I would like what the name would be for the most lovely lavender if anybody could help me please. I would like what the name would be for the most lovely lavender if anybody could help me please.
    Regards
    Edward

2. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Hi -

I like to grow lavender myself, and sometimes help at a lavender nursery. Without a doubt I'd say the most popular and frequently seen here in northern England is the old favourite, Lavandula angustifolia. Its often called Common or True Lavender.

That said, L. stoechas (Mexican Lavender) is quite similar to the second ones you describe in NZ, and are also very beautiful. The Dutch Lavender, L. x intermedia is also popular and I have spent several long hours taking cuttings of it.
    there are two very big Lavender farms in Yorkshire, where I live, and both are full of vast swathes of lavender as far as the eye can see, of many species, but mainly L. angustifolia. It is the easiest to grow and the main choice for gardens, as it attracts butterflies abd bees, looks so pretty and sits well alongside other flowers. It is also popular for soaps and oils, ad is often crushed and collected to leave under pillows for its scent and relaxing properties.

We also have the Rock-Sea Lavender species (Limonia britannicum species and others) but these are not really lavenders, botanically speaking. they are still very nice, though :)