1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lavender problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lisa30, May 23, 2005.

1. Lisa30

Lisa30 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought 6 lavender last year and i cut them back in the autumn.

This year only 3 have come back, the others are dead:-(

What did i do wrong?

2. MrsMacGyver

MrsMacGyver Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What type are they, some aren't as hardy as they say. I've lost several over the past few years which didn't survive the winter. My garden isn't exposed as penstemons thrive. I have hedges of Munstead and Hidcote and some of the stoechas which grow very well.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late.
    It also hates wet, like a lot of grey leaved plants. I grow Lavender in clay, not known for its sharp drainage, and they struggle in the claggier bits.

As Mrs MacGyver has said some are not as hardy as others, so frost may have been a problem but most survive in my Bedfordshire garden.