Lavender

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Emily Brookes, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Emily Brookes

Emily Brookes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

In the garden of our new house is some lavender but the previous owners have planted it in completely the wrong place really. What’s the best way of moving in without it dying and could I just replant it into some large pots perhaps? We don’t have space in our flowerbed.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      Hi Emily,
      I agree that your Lavender is in the 'wrong' place!
      Unless you re edge the lawn, grass would soon start to grow through it and make it untidy.
      It's a great plant to have however. Bees love it and the scent is a welcome one.
      I would wait till it's past flowering if possible (probably late summer/early autumn) and then have a couple of good sized pots/tubs ready. You could compost into those or mix it 50/50 with the existing top soil.. A bit of bonemeal would do no harm and it helps root growth.
      You'd need to dig deeply around the lavender and retain as much root as possible. Then water well, and leave undisturbed.
      I'm sure the plants would soon recover and next Spring, at which time I'd apply some liquid feed, you should have established one's.
      English lavender can look a bit wild in a container but it will easily be re homed from them in the future if necessary.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020