laviteria ? Was once ablooming, now all but dead

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clair, Aug 16, 2005.

1. clair

clair Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm not sure if i've spelt it right but I'm sure you'll know what I'm on about. I bought two last year and they flowered nicely, I did not prune them and they really bloomed this year and were fabulous so I decided I would re-pot them in bigger tubs and add some mixed lobelia and ever since all the flowers dropped off ( they did have greenfry aswell but that was gone after a good spray) and now all the leaves are turning yellow help!! Also I have a large petunia in a hanging basket and that was once really full of blooms is now nearly dead, any rescue remedies?
    Thanks

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Perhaps not the best time to repot them when they are in full flower. However if watered and fed they may pick up again but if not then then see how they do in the spring.

In respect of the petunia - to keep petunias flowering as recall you need to deadhead besides keeping them fed and watered, if they almost dead, sounds like you may not be able to resurect.

3. clair

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks green fingers, someone did point out to me that one shouldn't re-pot during flower ( I am an absolute beginner!) I just wondered if perhaps the lobelia was robbing the laveteria. Well you've blown my theory out of the water. I will do as you say Green Fingers and keep my fingers crossed for next year. As for the petunia, when you dead head do you take the blooms or the head aswell. I think it could do with repotting as it's very root bound. Thanks for your speedy reply anyways.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I found my lavatera was in the wrong position so I moved it and it seemed to die! All that was left was a short stump. I was going to pull it up and bin it but I never got around to it. Now 2 years later, it's back in force and absolutely huge! I'll post a piccy tomorrow so you can see (it's a bit dark now!)
    Moral is - maybe Lav. are hardier than we think!

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    [​IMG] Hi Clair,
    I have one that I thought I had killed 5 yrs ago. It is now planted out & makes a good summer screen for my compost area as it is so big. I now cut it to ground level every autumn & this is how it comes back every year, so don't give up on yours. A golden rule to remember is never re-pot when a plant is in flower, wait till flowers have finished then do it, or before of course. Good luck. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Feline

Feline Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I love this plant.

I kept seeing it in flower in peoples front gardens and then didn't know what it was.

I finally saw one when I was with my Mum and she told me the name.

Now I'm waiting for the next trip to the garden centre to buy one.

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Claire
    Whenever you repot/replant something at this time of year, its best to cut the plants top growth hard back, so that the surviving rootball (cos we hardly ever dig up all the roots) doesn't struggle to establish itself - its the roots that need to be concentrated on when moving plants - keep them happy & it should reward you with lots of growth next year - lavateras respond well to hard pruning (usually done in early spring, but if you replant - do it at the same time)

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    [​IMG]
    18 months ago this was a dead stump!!!
    (notice how Oscar always manages to get into frame! [​IMG]

[ 20. August 2005, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Claire - dre the petunias, take the whole flower head, down to the next green leaf. They are bit sticky, so take care but from the sound of it, i.e. browning, may be a tad late.

If they are in too small containers and rootbound that could be a real problem and its late in the season to repot, or get them in the garden to resuscite - but that said, give it whirl they are dead if you don't and could be dead if you don't. If they are root bound, ensure you tease the roots out before planting, and ensure that what your planting in - container, or ground, is nice loose compost or soil mixed with composts. You will also need to cut them back to keep the shock and loss of water to the minimum

[ 17. August 2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

10. clair

Ratings:
    +0
    A big thankyou to Fran,, michealmasdaisy, Bayleaf, Feline and Marley Farley for your speedy replies. I shall be out tomorrow with my pruning shears and thank you Fran for the dead heading tip, I've completely been doing it wrong!

I shall let you know how I get on, Clair

11. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Whilst I am feeling a tad pessimistic about the petunias - I shall be delighted if it is unwarranted, sides, there is always next year :D

I have lost count of the number of time that last bit has reassured me, as I tried to rescue something.