1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Aerator - Petrol or Electric?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Zola, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Zola

Zola Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Would anyone have any recommendations for a Lawn Aerator?

I bought a Einhell Scarifier and Aerator which is great, but the scarifier is where it shines only really. The spiker / aerator essentially does the exact same thing as the scarifier, doesn't really make big holes at all.

I do have a manual 'step on' hollow tine aerator, but to do my full lawn in the back garden is a back breaking task, which I have done once, but dont wish to do again!!

What options do I have?

I looked at hire prices for a petrol machine, but they are £100 a day!

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

Just reading your post, it does make me wonder what your problem really is ?

If you have already aerated your lawn, some time ago ? and by the sound of it regularly scarify it, then why are you needing to Aerate the lawn again ?

Are you talking about a bowling green finish, lush green lawn or kids play area ?

3. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    Ive looked into buying a used aerator but they always seem to go for a lot of money. If I was buying I would go petrol. Ive used a Camon aerator in the past and that was a great bit of kit.

For now I'm sticking with scarifying twice a year and separate weed killer and feeder.

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    You should be able to hire one, good ones cost several thousand and upwards but as it’s a job you only want to use once in a while then hiring one makes more sense.
    Be warned some are huge and heavy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Zola

Zola Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      Part of me thinks it needs aerated again, or properly with a machine. I tried to do it manually but a machine would be better for sure.

How often should a lawn be aerated? Every other year?

I didn't get scarifying it last year, but I did get at it over the weekend, it needs another pass again!

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,093
      For a hollow tine job i would just pay someone to do it. Greenthumb etc. Unless you have major drainage issues once every few years would suffice.
      Iron,scarify,feed/seed should be all you need ?

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      In the sports industry they tend to aerate more often ie greens, tennis court, cricket and so on but most domestic lawns are not ready built like a sports area and so aerating for 90% is simply not needed unless you have issues.
      Scarifying yearly will be all most lawns require given the various soil types found under domestic lawns.
      Normally a good aerating machine if used would mean you don’t need to scarify at that time as they punch a huge amount of holes thus removing thatch.
      Personally unless you have compaction issues I would just scarify spring and early Autumn and monitor the grass feeding the plant correctly through the season.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Please friends don't offense as none is intended. The internet and gardening forums etc have certainly brought likeminded folk together. So as a result we may find ourselves in a new learning zone.

Scarifying basically means, a concerted effort to rake a grass area so as to dislodge and remove dead gras that has formed a thatch-like matting.

Areating is the process of puncturing the soil. Here you have the choice. Solid or hollow tine. Solid tine simply punctures the soil, preferably making holes to a depth of 4-6 inches allowing air and water to enter the sub-surface easier.
      Hollow tine method is different. Here the tines are, yes, hollow. Using this method. Cores of soil are extracted from the soil. The purpose of this action is to introduce a form of drainage. Having used the hollow tined machine, the next step is to spread the area with sharp sand. The sand is then brushed, by hand or mechanically so as to fill the holes. This now enables water to drain away somewhat faster.

Here is the dilemma. Does my lawn really call for all of this? Do I understand.

I am a forum member and always ready to help, advise and even defend myself. Please, enjoy your gardening.