1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn condition (autumn)

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by adamsh, Oct 29, 2013.

1. adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
    +121
    Hey all,

As I am new to all this maintaining a lawn malarkey I have a question regarding what I can expect in regards to the condition of the lawn from now onwards.

It was laid (turfed) in April so is only 6 months old, started off a nice lush dark green, but during the summer suffered from brown spots (which was cured by occasionaly poking holes in and watering a lot).

Now it seems the lawn is patchy (areas of yellowing)
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

and when I pull the green grass apart you can see quite a mess underneath (highlighted in the photo below.
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

is this normal for this time of year or do I need to do something?

Cheers

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,676
    Nice new lawn and completely normal. The yellowish grass is the thatch and can be scarified out with a spring tine rake. Nothing wrong with the lawn as far as I can see.
    Next spring give it a spring feed.

3. Elliott T

Elliott T Apprentice Gardener

Green Garden Services Owner
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed with Loofah. Give it a scarify in the autumn after the grass has stopped growing. If you're really looking to keep it in top condition then investing in an electric scarifier would probably be best. They're usually around £50 in B&Q. Don't be afraid of scarifying hard, off a more established lawn about your size I could usually get off about 3 or 4 wheel barrel loads of thatch, moss and badly established grass.

Elliott

• Like Like x 1
    • adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
      +121
      Forgot all about this post lol.

That top photo looks nothing like that now, I have found that during the winter the sun is too low for that part of the garden to get any sun at all.

It is the section I went over with the lawn rake today, It doesn't look terrible, but compared to my concerns in the opening photo it is no where near as good.

This is my first lawn, and it will a year old next month, once the sun starts hitting that section of the garden I am sure it will all recover nicely.

I'll try and get comparison photo tomorrow.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,676
      Yep, should be fine. My lawn has just has a good rake and I had to reseed a few areas. I'll give it a good feed soon just before some rain so it washes in (obviously not needed if you use a solution feed!)