1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Discolouration

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Alan Ping, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Alan Ping

Alan Ping Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year the lawn turned brown in several places and I put it down to it getting too dry over the summer.
    This year same thing has happened, but it hasn't been dry or cut too short.
    Has had spring and autumn feeds.
    It's been like this for 3-4 weeks now.
    Normal and current photos attached.
    Any ideas, please?

Attached Files:

2. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
  3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Have a close look at the patches and see if you spot a red or pink top on the top of the blades.
    Also check to see if you can spot any web formation on the grass. You will need to do this first light or early morning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Alan Ping

Alan Ping Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you.
      Yes, looks like that's it.
      Have got some high N feed.
      Do you know if scarifying would help or hinder (before or after feed)?

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +227
      Not sure it's wise putting high nitrogen on at this time of year as that will encourage soft leaf growth which would be vulnerable to the coming frosts.

If it was red thread or dollar spot I think the cooler weather will sort the problem out as they are both fugal problems which thrive in moist and warm conditions.

• Like Like x 2
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Yes scarify and apply an autumn feed around 2 weeks after to aid turf recovery.
        If however you have a liquid feed and it’s high on N you can get away with it as liquid feeds tend to be shorter lifespans.
        If it’s a straight granular feed you can also adjust the N rating but note this will limit the other elements within the makeup.
        I would also look for an Autumn feed with an iron content to harden the turf up. There are lots of iron products out there from granular, soluble and liquid but if mixing insure the product is compatible.

It will show up every year when conditions are right so to reduce the issue you need to plan a maintenance program for the year to fight off the disease or to limit it.

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
        • MikeK

MikeK Apprentice Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +11
          Can you recommend a liquid feed? I will try to cross reference a suitable substitute from German suppliers.

What is a reasonable percentage of iron for the Autumn feed? I used a feed with a high iron content after my brutal scarification earlier this year to take care of the moss. I didn't save any of the information, and the garden shop no longer carries what I used (maybe it's seasonal), but it was the highest iron content of any granular feed in the shop. Now that I have a decent backpack sprayer, I would like to use liquid feeds.

Edit to add: I need to ensure anything I put on the lawn is hedgehog friendly. We currently have at least five that visit every night for buffet hour and a few walk across the lawn to get to the back deck where the feeding and watering station is.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          I think it’s best to look at local or trade suppliers in Germany as I don’t know the products there.
          Most products will have the area covered and may include other info like amount per set volume.
          With spraying it’s working out the area, volume of water, spray width, discharge rate and speed of walking.
          If you can find a local or trade company they normally can help if you are unsure about rates.

Normally though iron has quite a wide variant on application, if I’m treating moss I tend to go on the heavy side of the amount available to use so there is some give on iron. It’s when the liquid contains fertiliser as well as iron where you need to be within the ball park of the application rates as too or too little will effect the nitrogen rate applied.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021