1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Edging

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Irmemac, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Our lawn is defined by slabs all round the perimeter so we can cut the grass right up to the edge of the slabs and have a neat finish. We have designed it that way to be low maintenance, and I'd like to keep it. However, I've recently started being a little more creative and added a flower bed to the edge of a patio, replacing a bit of the lawn. I don't want to slab round the flower bed but would like a way to define the edge of the bed and provide an edge that I can run the lawnmower up to which separates the grass from the bed and is flush with the lawn level. Can anyone suggest an alternative? I've been looking online but not seen anything that seems to fit the bill. Grateful for any advice!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I would, and have, used Corten plate for this purpose. I think others on here have done the same also.

Having said that, if the mower is one of those that leaves a strip of uncut grass near the edge, something like cobble stones look nice, and the mower can be ran over them if they are laid correctly.

Note that the EverEdge Classic in metal is galvanised. Do you really want to put something covered in zinc into the ground? I certainly wouldnt.

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          Hi Liz the Pot (love your name!). I've seen Everedge online, but it didn't seem clear about whether it would survive repeated assaults with the mower. I think it might be time to try out something like that, but perhaps not the eye-watering metal stuff yet! So far the flower bed looks like this. I plan to expand, but I think my poor husband would have heart failure if I mention that out loud at the moment. He's been through a lot in the garden over the last ten days! I really want to keep edges bordering lawns as low maintenance as they are at present.

Attached Files:

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          Thanks, Sandy. Have just googled Corten plate as I had never heard of it. It looks similar to the Everedge idea, but without the zinc. Cobblestones could look very nice too.... :snorky:

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,731
          How about bricks? Back in the days when I had a lawn that was edged with old London stock bricks, rescued from the house next door when they had some rebuilding work done. They were laid so as to be level with the edge of the lawn so the mower wheels could just run over them. I did find I usually needed to go round afterwards with my lawn shears to create a truly neat edge though.

When I had the lawn taken out last year I saved the bricks and the landscapers reused them, together with some more from the builders' merchants, to build a low retaining wall for the new gravel surface. (Se my signature below.)

• Like Like x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            Bricks are another good idea. Thank you!