Lawn Feed Recommendations inorganic vs pelleted chicken manure

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Quentin Jackson, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Have been reading a number of threads on how when to feed a lawn. Interested in what products gardeners are using, experiences / what you would recommend

I have about 600m2 of lawn to feed, (will be 800m2 when I kill off last weed ridden lawn and re-sow next year.)

I have used mostly evergreen / aftercut 4 in 1 granular lawn feeds in the past. They have worked well and are easy to apply. Although I probably should apply more than the 2-3 times a year I do it.

Whilst looking a few months ago to re-stock my supply i found something called "Westland safe lawn". Thought it sounded good "pet friendly" (don't have one but have young children). Was not bothered about the added grass seed though.

I put some of the safe lawn product down a month ago on the area that was missed with the 4 in 1 feed. It is looking better, but nothing like the growth and thickness from the 4 in 1.

Then read it should be re-applied every 3-4 weeks! Seems twice as often as the 4 in 1 feeds. It costs more as well.

It also just smells like some granular chicken manure. In the past I thought you would need a much higher weight per m2 for a manure based product.

What do other gardeners recommend as a product? Not that fussed over organic, but I am conscious on not overusing fertilizers.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I looked at Westlands safe lawn. The data sheet shows limestone as the ingredient along with grass seed. Not a product I would use.
    4 in 1 is a higher N feed with Fe/iron. When you apply this you will see a growth spurt and the grass will Turner a deeper green.
    ICL Renovator Pro fertiliser is almost the same.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
      +22
      Thanks I had not found the data sheet, I was swayed by the picture and advertising on the packet. Next time do some fact checking first!

I will look at the ICL Renovator pro, looks like I can get it in bulk compared to stuff from sheds.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Its not bad but extra care as it scorches like crazy if you apply just too much.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      In my experience of using chicken pellets on the lawn they encouraged foxes, dogs, cats and the like to dig there. They also made the surface “unsittable” on until eventually broken down....not nice to play on etc. :)