1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn help needed !!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Spendleb, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Spendleb

Spendleb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I need to sow a new lawn in my back garden, I spent weeks preparing the soil, digging sharp sand deep in and removing stones etc, I then levelled and raked the area before applying Westland Lawn Food. A week later I sowed Westland fast growing seed, which is meant to give results within 10 days.

12 days later (and a lot of rain/spring weather) and nothing has happened, the seed doesn't appear to be germinating, should I give it longer or do I have to think about sowing a different product and if so, what do I need to do with the existing seed bed?

Do you think I have done something wrong, the box indicated I should just lightly compress into the soil although friends said I should have raked it in?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Simon

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just be patient - for a while longer. We have had some quite cold temperatures overnight over the last few weeks - which will have affected germination.

In my experience whatever the seed is, - tis worth waiting and giving it time. Yes it may have been better raked in but following the directions is fine too - grass seed is nothing if not tolerant <gg>

3. Spendleb

Spendleb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fran, I currently have very small shoots in about 7 places in the garden, 98% is still not growing though but we will persevere for a few weeks :)