Lawn help.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by HughesG86, May 21, 2020.

1. HughesG86

HughesG86 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there new to this forum so take it easy on me. I’ve been in my property just over a year. When I first moved in despite a bit of over growth that the lawnmower and strimmer could sort out I had a decent green lawn.

Fast forward to now and it looks like an African cricket pitch.

I am as clueless an amateur a gardener as a new born.

Having a trampoline in various places over the last 11 months has killed my grass too.

if anyone can offer advice, youtube tutorials etc on how to help it would be appreciated. Attached some photos for reference.

C4835E20-F39E-408C-B28D-BA6C4301931E.jpeg 8DDFB4EC-B127-48D4-81FC-BD4EF5E0DA25.jpeg

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    Its in very poor condition weeds etc. It common to over seed but with the dry weather and I assume yo have kids running around it be very difficult to get it going. Depending on how big it is it maybe easier to re turf. Was it all grass early spring like March ? It looks like the dry weather has seen off some of the grass species like annual meadow grass which has left bare patches.

3. HughesG86

HughesG86 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I’ve never seeded it or anything. The grass was dying and I moved the trampoline and then it started balding and crackinv.

4. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    Anything which cuts out the light, like a trampoline, is going to kill the grass underneath it. Your best bet is to buy a box of grass seed and a bag of topsoil from a garden centre. Sprinkle the seed over the bald patch, then sprinkle about a half-centimetre layer of topsoil over the patch to cover the seed. Not perfect, but it'll be a start.

What that doesn't solve is water. The reason it cracks like that, and the rest of the lawn dies, is lack of water. If you want a decent lawn, and especially if you're trying to get grass seed to grow (like I described) then you want at least a good hour of watering, at least once a week and ideally twice. Get a sprinkler which covers the lawn area, because you don't want to be stood there holding a hosepipe for an hour.