1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn issue

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Dan_S, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Dan_S

Dan_S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

I've recently moved into my new house (built 2014) and it has a small rear lawn. The issue is the grass is so thin and every time you walk on it it can take days before it pops back up. The grass is extremely patchy as well. I have raked the lawn to remove all the dead grass and also forked it a couple of times over the last two months. I've put some fertiliser down and continued to water, the grass is greener but no stronger. I've attached some photos (hopefully).

Any advice on how to get the grass into a nice strong state would be amazing!

Attached Files:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've moved my reply over to the duplicate post:

Lawn help!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Dan any chance of a photo that shows the whole lawn?

what fertiliser did you use and when did you apply it?

to see what is under the lawn you can lift a small section of turf but if you applied a too higher nitrogen feed in the winter the grass plant will produce a soft tissue which is prone to various issues.

4. Dan_S

Dan_S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I just bought some Westland Aftercut All Season Fertiliser from Homebase as I've had good results with it on a previous lawn. I applied it approx. 3 weeks ago and the grass does look greener.

I only moved into this house in November 2019, managed to get a winter cut in but the grass has been left for approx 6 months (cut once in the time).

I've attached some more photos as requested. You can see on the far right hand side of the grass (photo 4) when I've walked quickly across and it's just completely flattered it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      81.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg