1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn or other option over concrete and slate chippings

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Cgw, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Cgw

Cgw Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, first post so apologies if not in correct place. We have a garden (well, a yard) that is around 5m x 7m, so not big at all. It is uneven concrete which has been totally covered by slate chippings. Its really an unhappy place and I'd like a quickish, low (as possible) budget way of sprucing it up. Im wondering if I can cover the slate with sand, soil and try and turf it so we have some grass. Has anyone done anything similar to cover slate chippings or have any suggestions on if possible? Thanks...

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    If you don't own that place I would stay clear of radical solutions.

If it is yours however and you simply want to "fix" it with minimal effort I'd say "shovel some soil on top, mix it and the plant something like thyme on top." It's pretty hardy, looks good and will grow fast

3. Cgw

Cgw Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yes we own it but it isnt our "forever home" hence our low budget approach. We have a dog and we have an outdoor dining set so unfortunately whilst that sounds like a brilliant idea for a border for us (which i will certainly remember thank you) I'm not sure its the solution for the whole space. Thanks for your suggestion :)

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    I think turf is going to be unhappy and not grow well with sand/soil on top of chippings, on top of concrete. You could think about artificial grass, you could always roll it up and take it with you to the next place.
    Lavender and rosemary would also thrive along with the thyme, although you don't mention how much sunshine you get in the area and all three would appreciate sunhine.
    I'd consider pots of different shapes and sizes with brigh colourful plants in them. The plants could be annuals and then you could replant with winter flowering plants and spring bulbs and again you have the advantage of being able to take them with you.
    If you really really want grass then you are looking at removing chippings and breaking up the concrete, preferably removing it, then fresh soil and turf or seed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      NigelJ's solution sounds good to me, you really would need to break up the concrete first if you wanted to embark on a lawn or other kinds of permanent plantings. Should you not fancy artificial grass try googling 'outdoor rugs' which seem to have become a thing recently and aren't that expensive. You could sweep off the chippings in one area and put the rug over the concrete, to provide a flat base for your furniture. Then have fun creating a 'potscape'. :spinning:

Raised beds on top of the concrete, made from scaffolding boards or similar and filled with imported topsoil, would be another way of extending your planting options.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Plus you do not know whats under that concrete, could be even worse !
        Folk do not usually cover over good soil with concrete.

Think what been said about making raised beds or the clever use of large pots and tubs would be the best solution.

Dont forget in a smallish area going vertical with things like trellis/obelisks/archways is the best way to make it seems bigger.

• Like Like x 1
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,790
          A lawn just isn't an option unless you take out the chippings and concrete. You could replace the slate with different aggregate and create a courtyard type garden?
          Any pics available?

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,680
          A lawn will not grow well on top of a concrete base. If you can't get the concrete out, Clare G's suggestion of outdoor rug or artificial grass plus container gardening is very good.

And get creative and build upwards... I love this one :)

The most important thing is to create a space that works for you and makes you happy. A seating area plus plants in pots or a BBQ heaven... Everything might not be possible but here in this forum there are a lot of folks who can suggest ideas.

Let us know what you are considering, post some pics and let's mull it over together to find some inspiration and get good advice :)

• Like Like x 2