1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn over old patio

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Lizzie Rose, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Lizzie Rose

Lizzie Rose Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    First of all, I know there are many posts similar to mine and I've read through a lot but I just need a bit of advice still. I can delete this post after if needed, so as not to clog up the board with similar posts. So...

I am extending our current lawn by removing a patio and then either using seed or turf. I have lifted the slabs and there is a roughly 3 inch layer of sand and slate then a layer of membrane. Below that is compacted soil. Will I have to remove that sand and slate or can lay some top on top of it (while ensuring level with current grass) or should I mix top soil into the sand and slate? OR... and this is what I think is the right answer, should I remove all sand, slate and membrane and then put down 10-15cm (or however much to get it level) of top soil and then the seed or turf (level allowing for turf if going for that).

Is there a calculator somewhere to work out how much top soil I need? The area is roughly 400cm x 460cm.

Thank you in advance, I know this is probably asked a lot on this forum!

Best wishes, Lizzie x 20200913_125652.jpg 20200913_125754.jpg 20200913_125744.jpg 20200913_125723.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      I would do as you suspected and remove all the slate etc.
      If you give the sizes x depth to a topsoil supplier they will quote you for cost.
      The lawn will take a while to blend in with the old one.
      If you are buying turf then the supplier may well be able to provide the topsoil too..

• Like Like x 1
      • Lizzie Rose

Lizzie Rose Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        Thank you so much, I just needed that confirmation really. Much appreciated JR x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,930
          More topsoil depth the better, as we now seem to have hot 30c dry weather the more subsoil and topsoil will help it to not dry out so quickly and go brown

• Like Like x 1
          • Lizzie Rose

Lizzie Rose Gardener

Ratings:
            +49
            Brilliant thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1