1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

lawn over seeding

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Tingting44, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Tingting44

Tingting44 Gardener

FLT driver
    Ratings:
    +215
    hi guys im in a bit of a pickle racking my brain in prep to over seed my lawn in september, ive been reading and watching lots of youtube vids, i think i know what i need to do when the time comes, here is my thinking of what to do

- rake thatch
    - aerate (this is the aerator im thinking of getting http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300960306174?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT )
    - spread grass seed
    - spread compost
    - back rake it all
    - water

is this correct?

but looking at what grass seed to buy is so daunting, i have not got a clue! are there any makes of grass seed that stand out from the rest? there are so many different types its unreal! id love some pointers pleaseee as its driving me a little mad trying to get everything sorted in my head and get the supplies i will need for over seeding in september

also is it a good idea to overseed the whole lawn or just the patches that are wearing thin?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. Kris1990

Kris1990 Apprentice Gardener

barman
    Ratings:
    +28
    I did mine not long after laying my new turf lawn to make it thick all i did was bought some of the miracle grow lawn seed. Spread it on top of my existing lawn walked up and down the lawn like a penguin to push the seed in the ground a little then watered it everyday and within a week all my patches had grassed over and the lawn is much thicker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Tingting44

Tingting44 Gardener

FLT driver
      Ratings:
      +215
      thanks for your input mate, i have so much to learn with my new garden, its so big and i am feeling a bit overwhelmed now :( ive been in the garden since 2pm today and just finished the days gardening now

• Tingting44

Tingting44 Gardener

FLT driver
      Ratings:
      +215
      also is it ok to overseed new turf?

• Kris1990

Kris1990 Apprentice Gardener

barman
      Ratings:
      +28
      I waited 2 weeks before I did mine so It had rooted and it was fine.

• Prkns

Prkns Gardener

Web Designer
      Ratings:
      +303
      I'm just about reaping the rewards of my first overseeding attempt. Here's what i did:

1. Mow it down to about 20-30mm
      2. Rake
      3. Aerated (basically i jammed a 5 pronged fork into it a few times)
      4. Topsoil / Sand mix
      5. Seed
      6. Rake
      7. Topsoil
      8. Walked all over it
      9. Watered
      10. Watered
      11. Watered

Now i've got a more or less perfectly thick, lush lawn on its way. I did mow it this weekend and i feel that it was slightly too early but it's already growing back quite thick and fast so hopefully in another couple of weeks it will be grand!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1