1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn returfed - now I'm watering!

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Strider6, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Strider6

Strider6 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2
    We've just had the back garden returfed - job done two weeks ago. It looks great. It hasn't rained at all since the job was done, so I've been watering it every day, and we have been v careful not to walk on it. The dog hasn't been out there for two weeks.

How do I ensure it's doing OK? And how long do I have to water it? Daily? When can I allow the dog on to the grass?

Your advice will be very welcome.

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,516
    I'd keep on watering it daily until you have a good downpour of rain.
    I couldn't be sure but I think that it's 2 weeks before you can walk on it, don't know about your dog but would he be running around like a mad thing or not.
    Personally we don't have our dogs in the garden, they go on 4 walks a day.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    After 2 weeks I think daily watering is not necessary at this time of year, I would just check by hand to see if it feels moist and water every 2 or 3 days. When you water you need to ensure you give enough to soak the soil beneath, you are trying to encourage the grass to send down roots. if it's really sunny and windy then water, as these are obviously the things that cause the turfs to dry out.